Adding Images/Attachments to Survey in INBOX

Jump to solution
03-08-2018 11:30 AM
CoryLyle
New Contributor

Anyone have experience with adding photos to an existing survey through the Inbox? Or potential workaround?  We have office technicians that will be adding points to our feature layer (in portal), the field crew/inspectors will then navigate to these points, open the survey through the Inbox, and complete the survey including taking photos of the location.  

We would like the photos to be accessible through the web map in portal, which is why we chose to use multiple image questions instead of using repeats.  I read that you could possibly edit the source code for Survey123 through AppStudio, unfortunately I am not that familiar with coding and couldn't find any documentation.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations!

Already read through the 2.4 "talk like a pirate release" blog post and saw this...but wanted to see if the community had anything new.

"As of this release, the Inbox lacks support for downloading attachments. That is, you can use the Inbox against a survey that includes attachments, but  the Inbox will not populate  signatures, annotated images, audio or image questions.  All these types of questions will appear empty, as if they had no data. As for the rest of questions, you will be able to download  data for them and update  them as well.

Also, to play on the safe side, when you edit surveys from your Inbox we will disable editing on these types of questions. This means that if you open a survey from your Inbox  to make edits to it, all questions of type image (photos, signature, annotate, draw) as well as audio questions will appear not only empty, but also disabled. This is to avoid people from accidentally attempting to change data  in them."

55 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Steven Del Castillo‌,

I concur that this sounds like a feature service issue.  Specifically, can you check the Editor settings of the feature service (or fieldwork view, if present) in the Item Details?  Particularly the 'What kind of editing is allowed?' and 'What features can editors edit?' settings.  Refer to Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation for descriptions.

0 Kudos
StevenDel_Castillo
New Contributor III

Hey James, 

We have full rights enabled.

Steven

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Steven,

In re-reading, I want to make sure I understand your full workflow:

1) In the Inbox, open an existing record

2) Add a new repeat to the form (this is the only supported method of adding an image)

3) Submit with the new repeat

In your description of what you tried, it seemed a bit vague about whether the repeat was a new one added in the form or an existing one.

0 Kudos
StevenDel_Castillo
New Contributor III

Hello James,

Full workflow and design is as follows.

1. Publish new survey with image question in repeat using Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS.

2. Verify all correct permission/sharing settings enabled.

3. Add features to newly formed layer from step 1 with ArcGIS Pro using Append geoprocessing tool.

4. Use Inbox in Survey123 to open an existing record.

5. Image question in repeat disabled.

Thank you,

Steven

JamesTedrick

This may come under #2, but attachments have been enabled for the layers?

0 Kudos
StevenDel_Castillo
New Contributor III

Yes, sir!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello, I have the same issue. When I try to add a picture on a Inbox with repeat, it dosen't save the picture. All setting are same as above... 
Any clue on what can be wrong? is this a new bug?

Thank you for any advice!

Cristian 

0 Kudos
PatrickCrushell
New Contributor III

Hi Steven,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having the same problem right now - repeat image question is disabled when I am editing an existing feature in my inbox. have enabled full editing privileges on FS. The repeat images work as expected when adding new survey forms.

Patrick

0 Kudos
PatrickCrushell
New Contributor III

I resolved this - need to leave repeat_count blank in order to add photos in a repeat of an existing service.

0 Kudos
JasonJordan00
Occasional Contributor

It might be worth adding 

query allowUpdates=true 

to the Esri:Bind:Parameters field of the repeat to see if it allows you to add photos without blanking out repeat_count.

0 Kudos