Adding Images/Attachments to Survey in INBOX

Jump to solution
03-08-2018 11:30 AM
CoryLyle
New Contributor

Anyone have experience with adding photos to an existing survey through the Inbox? Or potential workaround?  We have office technicians that will be adding points to our feature layer (in portal), the field crew/inspectors will then navigate to these points, open the survey through the Inbox, and complete the survey including taking photos of the location.  

We would like the photos to be accessible through the web map in portal, which is why we chose to use multiple image questions instead of using repeats.  I read that you could possibly edit the source code for Survey123 through AppStudio, unfortunately I am not that familiar with coding and couldn't find any documentation.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations!

Already read through the 2.4 "talk like a pirate release" blog post and saw this...but wanted to see if the community had anything new.

"As of this release, the Inbox lacks support for downloading attachments. That is, you can use the Inbox against a survey that includes attachments, but  the Inbox will not populate  signatures, annotated images, audio or image questions.  All these types of questions will appear empty, as if they had no data. As for the rest of questions, you will be able to download  data for them and update  them as well.

Also, to play on the safe side, when you edit surveys from your Inbox we will disable editing on these types of questions. This means that if you open a survey from your Inbox  to make edits to it, all questions of type image (photos, signature, annotate, draw) as well as audio questions will appear not only empty, but also disabled. This is to avoid people from accidentally attempting to change data  in them."

55 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has this been figured out yet? I have spent 10+ hours figuring this stuff out because of Collector bugs and now I find out that images can't be added to inbox. Very frustrating.

JeffJackson4
New Contributor III

You would think with as much as this is requested, it would have been added by now.

This really needs to be looked in to and added.

JulienCHARBONNAUD
New Contributor III

Hi

I'm the same problem with picture and inbox

have you a solution with the next version ?

Thinks

Julien

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Julien,

No, attachments will not be supported in the next version of Survey123, however we have this enhancement in our backlog and something we aim to address in a future release.

Phil.

0 Kudos
PaulDoherty2
Occasional Contributor III

Philip Wilson‌ Thank you for the heads up on this. Any estimate on the timeline for this functionality?

Use Case

We have some Urban Search and Rescue Teams testing a workflow where "targets" are dropped on the map / S123 feature layer and then they need to find them and update to a different waypoint category. This reduces the amount of data entry and creates a "workforce-like" workflow to make sure they hit all of their assigned tasks. But... then they cannot add a photo to those points which is problematic for when they want to document the damage. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

No, there is currently no fixed timeline for implementing this feature, still in our backlog, however high on our priority list.

Phil.

JasonJordan00
Occasional Contributor

I would like to add that this would be a major feature for us and really hope to see it in a coming release. Currently we get around it by using repeats on signatures however it really gums up the schema.

JulienCHARBONNAUD
New Contributor III

Hi Jason

I share your interest

Can you explain to me your recipe

Thanks

Julien

0 Kudos
StevenDel_Castillo
New Contributor III

Hi Philip,

Any chance a rough estimate on this feature can be shared?

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Steven,

At this stage there is still no set timeline or scheduled release for this feature. However we have been doing initial work in the underlying framework and database engine being used to be able to support it in the future. We are hoping this is something we can bring to life once all the required components are updated and will be aiming to get it into beta as soon as we can.

Phil.

0 Kudos