Adding Images/Attachments to Survey in INBOX

Jump to solution
03-08-2018 11:30 AM
CoryLyle
New Contributor

Anyone have experience with adding photos to an existing survey through the Inbox? Or potential workaround?  We have office technicians that will be adding points to our feature layer (in portal), the field crew/inspectors will then navigate to these points, open the survey through the Inbox, and complete the survey including taking photos of the location.  

We would like the photos to be accessible through the web map in portal, which is why we chose to use multiple image questions instead of using repeats.  I read that you could possibly edit the source code for Survey123 through AppStudio, unfortunately I am not that familiar with coding and couldn't find any documentation.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations!

Already read through the 2.4 "talk like a pirate release" blog post and saw this...but wanted to see if the community had anything new.

"As of this release, the Inbox lacks support for downloading attachments. That is, you can use the Inbox against a survey that includes attachments, but  the Inbox will not populate  signatures, annotated images, audio or image questions.  All these types of questions will appear empty, as if they had no data. As for the rest of questions, you will be able to download  data for them and update  them as well.

Also, to play on the safe side, when you edit surveys from your Inbox we will disable editing on these types of questions. This means that if you open a survey from your Inbox  to make edits to it, all questions of type image (photos, signature, annotate, draw) as well as audio questions will appear not only empty, but also disabled. This is to avoid people from accidentally attempting to change data  in them."

55 Replies
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User,

I'm waiting hard here on this enhancement, it will be a great addition. In the mean-time can I just clarify is there no way users can view the photos in a related table in a webmap, web app or dashboard?

I'm about to release a survey that has 3,500 records in the inbox (filtered by user) so have to go down the route of images in repeats and just wondering if they can't view the image should I hold off for the update. Any update on when it will be released? Much appreciated.

Rachel

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RachelS,

Support for viewing and adding image and signature attachments to existing features (ie via Inbox and Sent box) was added in the 3.13 release. You can now view and add attachments for the parent and repeat layers in a survey for all image questions types. Currently viewing and adding file attachments is still not supported.

Refer to this blog post for more information:

Whats New in ArcGIS Survey123 (September 2021) (esri.com)

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Oh this is fantastic news, I can add the image field into records in the inbox, and this will be visible as an attachment in web maps and apps. I never wanted to use related tables so this will make it a lot more straight forward.

Thanks

Rachel

StacyLynnBlanco
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User .

I know that it is now possible to add images from the edit page if the item is in the Sent Items folder. However, it is not possible to delete the 1st image. In one of my surveys, the requirements were to only allow 1 photo for the question, so if they can't delete the photo that is there, they can't change it. Do you know when the capability will be there for them to delete the existing photo and replace it? 

For now, I can change it to allow multiple photos and we can delete the first from the Survey123 website. However, the people using the survey are not really supposed to have to go to the Survey123 website, so it would be best if they could somehow change their photo directly from their iPad.

Maybe I'm missing something and this is available?

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Is the ability to delete/edit attachments to an existing survey in the Field App still in the works? @JamesTedrick (since Phil seems to no longer be here). I see that it is something that is available in the web app now, but is it going to be available in the Field App?

Use case for us, using Survey123 Field App to report on sports fields conditions, need an image updated when the field is closed due to the conditions. Don't need the old picture when it's a new day with new conditions.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SFM_WillBrewer
New Contributor III

Will there be support to delete photos from an existing record in the inbox or sent folders?