Embedded Story Map Not Updating

Jump to solution
05-08-2021 11:50 AM
BigWoodRiver
New Contributor

Hi there! I embedded a story map into my website, however, when I update the story map, it does not update on my website. I've cleared my browser cache, taken down the map on the website, replaced the embed code...and nothing. No updates coming through.

What do I need to do to get the embedded story map to update on my website?

Story map: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/25a351cef5924d3ead541f09cdc314c8

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@BigWoodRiver -- A story's cache is invalidated on publish; however, we took a look at this and it looks like accessing a story with a URL parameter (like cover=false) still references the cache. That is why it is currently taking an hour to see any updates.

We will address this issue in an upcoming release so that story links that have URL parameters will update immediately.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@VHolubec - That's correct. A story that is updated outside the builder without being republished will not have its cache updated. There are currently no workarounds for this requirement.

We've discussed building a back-end API that would allow you to trigger a publish and do other server-side tasks related to StoryMaps, but that is a long-term research project at this time.

Owen Evans

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sorry if I missed something.

But, both the embedded storymap as well as the original storymap look same to me. What update in the original storymap didn't reflect in the embedded storymap?

Think Location
0 Kudos
BigWoodRiver
New Contributor

Hi Jayanta — thank you for your response! They look the same for me now, too, though it took over an hour for the updates to show on my website. I wonder if there's a way to speed that up. 🤔

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

After making changes to the original storymap, you may open the website in incognito mode of browser to check if the changes have reflected to the embedded storymap.

Think Location
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@BigWoodRiver -- A story's cache is invalidated on publish; however, we took a look at this and it looks like accessing a story with a URL parameter (like cover=false) still references the cache. That is why it is currently taking an hour to see any updates.

We will address this issue in an upcoming release so that story links that have URL parameters will update immediately.

Owen Evans
BigWoodRiver
New Contributor

That's wonderful, thank you @OwenGeo!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@BigWoodRiver -- Sorry for not updating this thread in a timely manner, but we fixed the issue with the story cache not being updated when the story is referenced with a URL parameter back on May 19, 2021.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
VHolubec
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @OwenGeo,

Just an observation, I´ve encountered the same problem on published StoryMap too. If the StoryMap is updated via Python API on the background - for example with similar workflow as is there: https://developers.arcgis.com/python/sample-notebooks/translating-story-map-from-one-language-to-ano... (if you update the storymap without clonning it). The updated story does not appear (the old one - cached - one does) - the only solution I found is open another browser or wait.

Is there any partial workaround?

Thank you,

Vladimir

Vladimir
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@VHolubec - That's correct. A story that is updated outside the builder without being republished will not have its cache updated. There are currently no workarounds for this requirement.

We've discussed building a back-end API that would allow you to trigger a publish and do other server-side tasks related to StoryMaps, but that is a long-term research project at this time.

Owen Evans
VHolubec
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @OwenGeo,

thank you for explanation and information.

Vladimir

Vladimir
0 Kudos