Why is editing a table in ArcGIS Pro so hard?

04-12-2019 01:42 PM
RobCahalan
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 and find it very frustrating and time consuming to edit tables. My first issue is that I can not rely that my edits to the table will be saved. I often will make an edit to an attribute, click out of the field and the record will turn <NULL>. This will happen sometimes even after I press save.

Second issues is that if I adjust the attribute width, the table will refresh. For example, if I am on record 800 and I adjust the attribute with, the table will reset back to record number 1....very frustrating and to the point that I switch back to ArcMap to make any table edits.

Third issue with table edits is the auto-sort. Is there a way to stop sorting? If I make an edit to a field that I have a sort set to, the table automatically re-sorts and throws off my spot in the table.

Forth and final issue...why does the table have to "Scan" while dragging the bar across a table to view off-window attributes...this makes it very difficult to make edits and look at tabular data.

I don't mean to whine in this note, I really like using Pro and I am using Pro approx. 60% over ArcMap but that last 40% is mainly due to making table edits.

16 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

100% agreed.  Beyond frustrating.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Rob,

The first issue is weird and if there are consistent steps to demonstrate the issue, that should be reported to technical support.

This is good feedback and I think you'll find the table editing experience in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 (June/July 2019) to be much improved:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/13704-arcgis-pro-tables-enter-to-go-to-next-row

Stop the ArcGIS Pro table view jumping around when I calculate attributes  (Your issue #2)

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14789-make-copypaste-of-table-view-field-values-in-pro-the-same-as-...

For the sort issue while editing, you should go up vote these ideas:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/16525-disable-field-sort-hold-in-arcgis-pro-attribute-table-while-e... (Your issue #3)

https://community.esri.com/ideas/16481-see-fields-while-scrolling-through-attribute-table-in-arcpro (Your issue #4)

We have these two tagged as arcmap equivalency issues - votes will help to prioritize the work required in ArcGIS Pro.

Thank you

0 Kudos
RobCahalan
New Contributor III

Hi Kory,

Thank you for the quick response. I will be sure to check out the links you provided and vote up the suggestions!

Amarz
by
Occasional Contributor II

Kory, I am having the same issue with the table resetting, and when I go to the link you provided, it says the thread has been hidden or archived. Can you republish it, or make it readable in archive state?

Stop the ArcGIS Pro table view jumping around when I calculate attributes  

Thank you

0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic

Can you explain to us why we need to vote for things that obviously do not work properly, which we paid very costly and we pay them daily by losing time on them?!?

Thank you!

ClayDonaldsonSWCA

Because people like myself have never experienced that issue and would prefer them to work on other fixes. Thus voting helps them determine what issues are most prevalent and therefore most important to fix.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
ChrisChappell1
New Contributor II

Agreed. Also the same with Domains. As annoying and frustrating as this is, what works for me is to make one edit, save and close. Make another edit, save and close. Repeat until desired number of fields or domains are added. More often than not and sadly, I will usually just make domain or table edits in ArcMap.

deleted-user-K9U1SzFzl3f7
New Contributor III

My contribution to the discussion about arcpro not saving attribute table edits: 

I'm using 2.3.3   

Create feature Polygon(s); edit attribute table; save edits. 

Last line of the attribute table doesn't save. Seems to be a persistent issue. At first I thought it was me, but this keeps happening.