When is Pro Leaving 2017 Behind (conda)?

Jump to solution
03-05-2020 11:34 AM
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hey Kory Kramer‌, seeing Pro 2.5 was just released and DevSummit is just around the corner, I have a question for the Pro team.  When is Pro going to upgrade conda and leave 2017 behind?  I just spent 3 hours troubleshooting a Pro-IDE integration issue only to realize Pro is stuck on conda 4.3.x and what I wanted to do isn't going to work.

Personally, I would like to see conda 4.6 or greater since that is when PowerShell support started.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Joshua Bixby‌,

We are aware that our current conda is getting old, and there have been some significant improvements in the more recent releases. Our conda has some customizations and is built as a static executable (instead of requiring a full blown Python installation), which provides advantages but also means upgrading is more complex. That said, we are aware of the issue and plan on addressing this in the near term.

One option while we're still on an older conda is to install a separate Miniconda installation, with whatever version of conda you chose. That can then be used to drive e.g. VSCode, Powershell, and still interact with the Pro created and managed environments. You also use the Miniconda installation to create new environments and point Pro at these and basically ignore the baseline conda installation we provide.

Cheers,

Shaun

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Joshua Bixby‌,

We are aware that our current conda is getting old, and there have been some significant improvements in the more recent releases. Our conda has some customizations and is built as a static executable (instead of requiring a full blown Python installation), which provides advantages but also means upgrading is more complex. That said, we are aware of the issue and plan on addressing this in the near term.

One option while we're still on an older conda is to install a separate Miniconda installation, with whatever version of conda you chose. That can then be used to drive e.g. VSCode, Powershell, and still interact with the Pro created and managed environments. You also use the Miniconda installation to create new environments and point Pro at these and basically ignore the baseline conda installation we provide.

Cheers,

Shaun

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Shaun Walbridge‌ for the update, let's hope "in the near term" is 2.6!    In the meantime, and once I realized Pro was still conda 4.3, I took a similar approach to what you suggest.

0 Kudos