Share branch versioning to AGS

Jump to solution
03-11-2021 05:17 AM
Antonio_Dang
New Contributor II

Hi there!

Im trying to share a feature service with branch versioning to AGS but cant enable the version management:

Antonio_Dang_0-1615468532542.png

Does share branch versioning only with portal and enterprise and not AGS standalone?

thx for any advice!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ccharping_patrickco
New Contributor III

I was curious about this as well so I decided to see if there was a workaround and I found a solution. Once you have ensured that the database is set up for branch versioning and the other steps needed (Global IDs enabled, editor tracking enabled, replica tracking etc.) publish to the stand Alone ArcGIS Server with Feature Service capability enabled. Then...

The IMPORTANT PART. Pull up your ArcGIS Server Admin page and navigate to the service in question. The URL should be something like "https://MyServer/arcgis/admin/services/MyServiceName.MapServer/" Choose EDIT at the bottom of the page and then do a search for the word "versionmanagementserver" just a few lines below that you will see

"enabled": "false",

change this value to true.

After I made this change I was able to successfully edit and manage branched versions from the feature service inside ArcGIS Pro to a stand alone ArcGIS Server.

I am running Pro version 2.6.2 and PostgreSQL.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The branch versioning docs don't explicitly state that Portal is a requirement. What version of AGS are you on?

Did you change the geodatabase connection properties to branch versioning after adding the layer to your map? If the layer was originally added under different connection settings, the layer will hang onto that configuration.

Double-check the connection properties in your catalog, and add the versioned layers from the SDE connection once you're sure that the correct versioning type is chosen. If you still can't enable it, follow the other steps in the page linked above and see if you're still running into the same problem.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Antonio_Dang
New Contributor II

The version of AGS is 10.81

I have double check that de connection properties as branch and   the version layer is Default before I publish.

I shared as a map service to AGS, if I share it as Share As Web Layer it will publish to my AGOL?

0 Kudos
PaulBrandt
New Contributor III

jcarlson is right, the docs don't specifically call out that the Version Management Service is not supported on AGS, but the link does state specifically sharing with an ArcGIS Enterprise portal. My understanding of  Branch Versioning is that it seems to be tightly integrated with the ArcGIS Enterprise user security model, so I wouldn't be surprised if it requires AGS be federated with a Portal site. AGOL wouldn't likely give you the same capability, because your AGS to my knowledge can't be federated with AGOL.

0 Kudos
Antonio_Dang
New Contributor II

It seems need to have a federated with a portal site. I cant get version managerment with ags standalone 😞

0 Kudos
ShelleySchott
Esri Contributor

@Antonio_Dang , in order for the Version Management to be available you need to make sure you have the .SDE connection as Branched, the data which you are publishing also needs to be branch versioned and you need to be the owner of the database. This will allow you to publish branch versioned datasets.

In ArcGIS Pro you can select this service capability in the publishing process.

Shelley Schott
Senior Consultant, Esri Australia
0 Kudos
Antonio_Dang
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have .sde connect as branched and also versioned. but i still dont get this option Version management.

Antonio_Dang_0-1616078815143.png

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Antonio_Dang - I would doublecheck that you have globalIDs added and editor tracking enabled. Those are two other requirements needed to share data as branch versioned 

0 Kudos
ccharping_patrickco
New Contributor III

I was curious about this as well so I decided to see if there was a workaround and I found a solution. Once you have ensured that the database is set up for branch versioning and the other steps needed (Global IDs enabled, editor tracking enabled, replica tracking etc.) publish to the stand Alone ArcGIS Server with Feature Service capability enabled. Then...

The IMPORTANT PART. Pull up your ArcGIS Server Admin page and navigate to the service in question. The URL should be something like "https://MyServer/arcgis/admin/services/MyServiceName.MapServer/" Choose EDIT at the bottom of the page and then do a search for the word "versionmanagementserver" just a few lines below that you will see

"enabled": "false",

change this value to true.

After I made this change I was able to successfully edit and manage branched versions from the feature service inside ArcGIS Pro to a stand alone ArcGIS Server.

I am running Pro version 2.6.2 and PostgreSQL.

ClaudioRuschel
New Contributor III

Are you able to edit features from this feature service using ArcGIS Pro Basic, or it is needed at least a Standard License?

0 Kudos