How to convert non spatial table to feature class

Jump to solution
03-02-2022 05:05 AM
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

Some years ago I created a feature class with related table (trees and inspections) which worked ok in collector/field maps but not very userfriendly or intuitive for my field workers.

Now I want to switch to using field maps for the trees and survey123 for the inspections and I followed @DougBrowning's workflow 

basically his technique is creating a form and have a feature class build by survey123 (for the inspections) and relate that later to the other feature class (the trees).

I've got that working (whoohoo); from a link in a popup in fieldmaps survey123 gets called and after completing the survey it returns to field maps. (last post in this thread)

My problem now is that I would like to copy the +1200 rows in the non spatial table to the feature class and that's where I'm stranded. Does anyone know of a way to convert/load/copy my non spatial records from the table to the featureclass?

the table contains the fields: category, remark, worker, date, foreignkey, globalid, objectid

I hope for a tip on how to tackle this, thanks for your time!

Bert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Bert,

I would use the Append tool.

Amanda Bishop, GISP

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Bert,

I would use the Append tool.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
BertKraan1

This might be someting:

copy the table

add fields x and y (both empty)

now you can use the xy table to point tool.

Bert

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does the non-spatial table have coordinates or other spatial information in it, or will they essentially have null geometries in the feature class?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KimGarbade

Can you describe your data and goal a little more? For example which data (trees or inspection) is in a feature class and which is in the flat file?  Is the ForeignKey common between the two tables (can be used to link them)? Are you looking for two feature classes; one for inspection and another for trees?

Since there is a many to one relationship between the two (many inspections to one tree), if the foreign key is common between the two tables, you could just set up a relationship class.  The inspections would stay in a database table, but be related to the trees so you could see them if you clicked on a tree.

If you (in this example) you wanted the inspection database table to be turned into a feature class I would:

1) Add an X and Y field to my Trees Feature Class and use Calculate Geometry to populate them with the desired coordinates.

2) Add an X and Y field to my inspection table

3) Joint the inspection table to the trees keeping all matching records

4) calculate the X and Y fields from the linked Trees X and Y columns into my X,Y columns in the inspection table.

5) remove the join

6) Use the XY table to point tool

That should give you an inspection point feature class.