GeoDatabase Connection Properties Fails

Jump to solution
02-06-2018 12:31 PM
rbae
by
New Contributor III

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1 with Oracle 12.1.0.2, I get the following error when I try to look at the GeoDatabase Connection Properties:

The connection works fine and I can do just about anything else with the GDB.  The TNS as not an issue so it appears that it is an invalid error message...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
31 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you tried the below:

• Closing and reopening ArcGIS Pro and then trying again?
  • Create a new connection to that Oracle db and try again?
0 Kudos
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

I too have same problem with Pro 2.1.0.

Asrujit SenGupta‌, both suggested workarounds doesn't work.

Ryan Bae‌ - Alternate way I found was to create database connection using python window.  This connection shows up 'GeoDatabase Connection Properties'.

import arcpy
arcpy.CreateDatabaseConnection_management("Path to your .sde file",
"connection_name.sde",
"DB",
"instance",
"DATABASE_AUTH",
"username",
"PWD",
"SAVE_USERNAME",
'TRANSACTIONAL');

Dan Patterson‌,Xander Bakker‌,Kory Kramer‌ Can you kindly help?

arcgispro 2.1‌

utility network data model‌

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Ryan Bae , it might be good to contact Esri Support and work through the problem with them. 

abhijeet You mention that the connection shows up, but do you actually have access to the database through that connection?

0 Kudos
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

Yes Xander, I do have access to the database with that connection. I used same username/pwd via python and it worked.  

0 Kudos
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

KKramer-esristaff‌, I could reproduce this issue consistently.  Not sure if this is reported as bug already so wondering if you could help about it?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Abhijeet.  We do have a bug logged that I think covers what is being described here.  In that bug, the following workaround is listed:

"Use an Oracle Easy Connect string while connecting to the Oracle geodatabase."

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I am using Pro 2.1.2 and I can connect to the Oracle database using the Instant Client with no problems, but when I try to access the Geodatabase Connection Properties I get the same issue.

Is the Oracle Easy Connect string different from using the Oracle Instant Client?  Can you please elaborate more on the Oracle Easy Connect string?

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Working with enterprise database connections is not my forte so I actually can't elaborate with any authority.  From a quick Google search I see that an Easy Connect string can be specified in Instant Client mode, so it doesn't seem like it is one or the other... but again, at this point I'm just Googling:

Instant Client FAQ 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

By "Oracle Full\Administrator Client" and "Oracle Instant Client", you refer to the type of Oracle Database Client software. -- Oracle Database Client Installation Types 

The clients use a connect identifier in the connect string to connect to a service. Easy Connect method enables clients to connect to a database server without any configuration. EZCONNECT - Oracle FAQ 

Connect to Oracle from ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Either type the Oracle TNS name in the Instance text box, or provide one of the following Oracle Easy Connect strings:

• The name of the Oracle server/Oracle service name or ID

For example, if Oracle is installed on myserver and myosvc is the Oracle service name, type the following:

myserver/myosvc

• The name of the Oracle server:Oracle port number/Oracle service name or ID

In this example, Oracle is installed on myserver, is listening on port 60000, and myoservice is the Oracle service name.

myserver:60000/myoservice

• The URL of the Oracle server

The URL for the same instance shown in the last example would be the following:

//myserver:60000/myoservice

• The name of the Oracle server (You can use this if the Oracle listener on the server is configured to point to a default instance.)
  • The IP address of the Oracle server/Oracle service name or ID

For example, if the address of the server is 10:10:10:10, and the Oracle service name is orasvc, type 10:10:10:10/orasvc.

For IPV6 addresses, place brackets around the address, for example, [4000:ab5:0:0:f666:d191:77f5:e2bd]/orasvc.

• The IP address of the Oracle server:Oracle port number/Oracle service name or ID

In this example, the IP address is 10:20:30:40, port is 59999, and Oracle service is myomy1: 10:20:30:40:59999/myomy1.

An IPV6 address for the same port and service would look like the following: [6543:ef4:0:1:f587:l249:12f9:a3cd]:59999/myomy110:20:30:40:59999/myomy1.

Be sure your Oracle instance is configured to allow Easy Connect. If you have the full Oracle client installed but want to use Easy Connect syntax to connect, be sure the sqlnet.ora file on the client is configured to allow the use of Easy Connect and the Oracle server is configured to allow Easy Connect syntax. Also note that if your Oracle instance is not listening on the default Oracle port number, you must use connection syntax that includes the port number.