GeoDatabase Connection Properties Fails

Jump to solution
02-06-2018 12:31 PM
rbae
by
New Contributor III

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1 with Oracle 12.1.0.2, I get the following error when I try to look at the GeoDatabase Connection Properties:

The connection works fine and I can do just about anything else with the GDB.  The TNS as not an issue so it appears that it is an invalid error message...

0 Kudos
31 Replies
rbae
by
New Contributor III

Kory,

Thank you for your help - the Oracle Easy Connect string did work for me.  Since there is a bug logged for the TNSNames issue, I will mark this as resolved.

-Ryan

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So I did some testing where I created a database connection but did not save the credentials (I unchecked Save user name and password) and I then clicked on Geodatabase Connection Properties. When I did this I saw the Connection Properties dialog box appear where it has truncated the first 2 letters of the instance which would cause initial ORA-12154 error as it cannot resolve the database instance because ArcPro changed the name by truncating the first 2 letters.

rbae
by
New Contributor III

Michael,

I think you nailed it.  I was able to reproduce this as well.  I then added a TNS entry that duplicated the original, minus the first two characters of the TNS Name, and it worked.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

This thread is answered if your org allows the use of Oracle Easy Connect which my org does not for both security and maintenance reasons during enterprise upgrades.  Hopefully, the diagnosis I have provided will help ESRI to fix the root cause of this issue for newer versions of Pro.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for the comments here rbae‌ and mvolz47‌  I just wanted to pass along that the truncation behavior noted here has been included in the notes of the defect that the development team is assessing.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for passing that info along to development Kory.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

You're welcome!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Kory:

Would you be able to share the bug # that you say was logged for the tnsnames issue?

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This is the bug I was referring to that is open and under investigation:

[BUG-000096686: Unable to access 'Geodatabase Connection Properties' when connection is created using the Transparent Network Substrate (TNS) name for an Oracle geodatabase.]

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Kory:

I created a tech support case and this is the bug that the analyst associated my case with.  My question on this bug is that it's status is New but it was created almost 2 years ago (5/23/2016), which does not seem new at all.  As such when does a Bug move out of New status (e.g. time period)?

0 Kudos