Exported map missing lines version (Pro V2.7)

Jump to solution
12-20-2020 03:16 PM
JessicaStrauss
New Contributor

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Since updating to Pro Version 2.7 last week all outputs (Jpeg, Png, PDF) are all missing graphic lines (feature ones are fine just those used for borders etc. I have searched but can't work it out.

Example 1: This is on the layout view - this is what we want as the output

JessicaStrauss_3-1608506000668.png

Example 2: This is the exported view

JessicaStrauss_2-1608505985836.png

42 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lindsay, 

We are aware that this affects lines.  We believe that graphics created programmatically, probably using an add-in, are the problem.  Graphics created via the UI are not. That is why the re-create and copy/paste work-arounds succeed.

Thanks for the communication!

Tom

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Tom - if it helps to have more info, our missing rectangles/lines were originally created in ArcMap (10.7.1 probably?), then imported from mxd to layouts in Pro. 

They were created using the ArcMap layout graphics tool most likely. They've always functioned in <2.7 Pro, I think we probably first imported this particular set of mxd templates around 2.4 maybe...? But not really sure. Don't know if that process falls under the category of "programmatic" or not, just wanted to let you know in case it helps ferret out the problem.

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for adding to the thread. 

We have many automated tests for ArcGIS Pro that import MXDs (of various versions) that contain graphics elements such as lines and rectangles. These tests all pass.  Debugging the issue points to the inclusion of properties for Z and M in the graphic elements in the Layout files provided by customers submitting the bug.

We are highly confident that graphics created through the UI (ArcMap and Pro) provide a different property set and that the problematic graphics were created through code (such as through an add-in). At Pro 2.7 very low level geometry changes were that invalidated graphics with specific Z and M property values. Unfortunately, we do not have many test cases of graphics created by add-ins and missed the bug.

Tom 

0 Kudos
dwightotwell
New Contributor

Hey Tom, thanks for your feedback.

I've been having the same issues with graphic lines in 2.7
I created the graphic elements in ArcMap, imported to ArcGIS Pro a year or so ago and the lines worked fine till the 2.7 update.
At no point have I used any add-ons to create any graphics or manage any part of the Pro project.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Same situation here, just to be clear no add-ins were used to create our layout graphics that went missing.

I'm also a little confused how a "graphic" created with the drawing tools could have Z or M-values associated with them as discussed above. Unless I'm misunderstanding the difference between "graphics" on a layout and "features" in a map?

0 Kudos
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

Michael,

I too am having this same issue using older layout templates.  Fortunately, I was already using a version of the python code Tom provided and found it worked.  May I suggest a shortened version that can be pasted in a Python Notebook and run to get you by?

import arcpy
aprx = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject (r"CURRENT")
for lyt in aprx.listLayouts():
lyt.exportToPDF(f"C:\Temp\{lyt.name}.pdf", resolution = 300)

VishalBalraj
New Contributor

In addition to the regular, lethargic performance of ArcGIS Pro, I am having similar issues.

Problem: For me, the problem arises when I duplicate an older layout (prepared with ArcGIS Pro 2.5) in my now updated ArcGIS Pro 2.7. In the duplicated layout, some graphics are "not recognised" by the updated software. However, graphics in the older/original layout displays fine.

Work-around: I opened the older/original layout and copy-pasted the required elements into the newer/"corrupted" duplicate layout.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Hey Vishal - this may or may not help you, but we've noticed an increase in speed setting Pro to OpenGL vs DirectX graphics.  Unrelated to this post but thought I'd throw that out there. Getting a machine with highest possible amounts of Cores/GPU/RAM would help too.

LoganSuhr_PSE
New Contributor III

Same issue here as well.  Map frame borders are still good though. 

We are currently checking other projects side-by-side between 2.6 and 2.7 but what we know for sure is that all projects created from one of our templates and before the upgrade to 2.7 have some gremlins.  

Our workaround for missing map elements is to simply cut and paste.  No deletion required.  But, we do end up needing to shift everything back into it's proper place.

In all, we have noticed the following errors:

• Layout lines and polygons not exporting to PDF
  • Not all legend items have the option for 'New Column' but they did in Pro 2.6
    LoganSuhr1_0-1609792199621.png
    The result is that our legend items are not where they are supposed to be and have run over their frame graphics we drew.

There could be more and I'll edit the post to reflect anything else we find.

Bug status is 'high'

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Logan, 

This thread is specifically about line graphics getting dropped in the exported file.  I see that you are having a separate issue with legends.  I can answer a few questions - however, I think if you want a back and forth a new legend-specific thread should be created.

A new legend fitting type was added at 2.7 - Manual Columns. This type was added because we found that the the legend item option "New Column" created a number of difficult issues with a few of the Legend fitting strategies. Whenever we make changes to the legend we work hard to not change existing legends. Unfortunately, our test suite is but a sample of the vast number of possible legend combinations.

It is possible that your "enlarged" legend is a bug. Not knowing the details of your legend (layers, size, properties, etc...) I can only guess. 

You are welcome to log an issue with support. They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

Please refer to https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/layout-fitting-strategies.htm for more information.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos