Messages in Model Builder

02-15-2021 07:24 AM
Labels (1)
BrettFrahm
Occasional Contributor II

When using Arcpy you are able to use funtions like arcpy.AddMessage to print statements in the geoprocessing result messages. I believe there should be a nice simple and built-in way to do this within ModelBuilder so people are able to troubleshoot. It could be kept simple at first and utilize outputs that are already being made like counts from select geoprocessing, so you can add a message for the count.

Ultimately though I think we should be able to add any message we want just like we are able to in python and also be able to utilize error messages too.

Also I realize that there is a custom way to do this by creating a script tool and adding it to the model, but this should be built-in to modelbuilder.

13 Comments
DuncanHornby

I've been using model builder for years and have always though it would be good to be able to write a message.  I think this idea works best if you run your model direct from the toolbox or as a tool as you would typically be watching the message dialog.

ShitijMehta

Thanks for this idea! We have this feature in our plan although not current right now. We will keep you updated as soon as we bring this into our current product plan. Thank you!

LauraBecht

This has always been something I didn't like about model builder.  I have a model I need to schedule to run regularly.  If the model fails is this reported anywhere?  I am seriously considering running this model in a notebook instead just so I can see if there is an issue.

ShitijMehta

Hi Laura, 
If the model fails, the errors bubble up on the scheduled tasks tab on the History pane. Is there an error that does not show up? Please can you help me with any model or repro steps that i can try?

Thanks!

Shitij

LauraBecht

Hi Shitij,

That was an honest question as i haven't tried to schedule the model yet, it got put on hold for other unrelated reasons.  I will let you know if any failure occurs without an error once i do start scheduling it.

Laura

PaulPrevedoros1

Some times users run modelbuilder  tasks on large files.

The ability to add a custom message that provides the progress of the tool might be handy

EvanJackson3

realise this is an older suggestion but MB is so odd how it runs different messages whether in edit mode or in production, where edit messages are much more detailed. Just default the messages entirely in production and allow to edit/refine.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Please please please include this functionality! The ability to add a message that indicates an outcome beyond "The precondition is false" would be great! Being able to add a custom message to the output of the different logic steps would be good for when a tool doesn't run due to the user not doing something (i.e. No selection was made). Currently, they need to know that they need a selection before running a tool. If they don't, there's nothing telling them that thats where they went wrong (in many of my use cases anyway). 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Dropping this post here as a reference for others in the future looking for a work-around. 

Message script tool for ModelBuilder - Esri Community

ShitijMehta

We have a custom message tool in product plan coming soon. Stay tuned! Once we install, i will add a message here. Thanks for your comments!