Select to view content in your preferred language

Definition Query Icon in Table of Contents

07-16-2014 02:11 PM
Labels (1)
KenBates1
New Contributor III

When you set a definition query on a layer in ArcMap, it would be nice to have some cue to let you know that not all of the records in the layer is showing (due to the query).  Something akin to the exclamation point when the link to the data is broken. 

36 Comments
wayfaringrob

@nabaz-gharib  agree! just started using QGIS for personal projects at home and aside from the learning curve in some areas I love it. We have it on our work PCs for a few specific workflows required by our trails website and I definitely see us bringing it into our workflows more for these little 'quality of life' things. They really add up.

Bud
by

I think this idea should be re-opened.

sgambrel_Bouldercounty

Please re-open this idea.  ESRI yet again telling users it knows what they want better than they themselves do.

AlfredBaldenweck

However, the charm case doesn’t work for big maps with nested collapsed layers. Think about opening a map authored by someone else - you’d have to hunt and peck through it to find charms.

We have to do this anyway? Like, that's the exact experience of using the Data tab--> Definition Query drop down. Select each layer, check the drop down. Alternatively, open up the Properties window for each layer and check the Definition Query tab. Either of the current solutions is the exact problem that this suggestion is trying to avoid.

alex_friant

Another idea is to have a tab in the TOC to view/manage Definition Queries, much like how Labeling has it's own tab, and the labeling pane handles display filters:

dq_tab_idea.png

This way, chips won't mess up the Layers tab, it's out of the way if you don't want to look at it, but it's there if you need it.

Bud
by

Other attribute filters to keep in mind:

1. A join where only the matching rows are kept.
  2. Time filter
  3. Range filter
  4. Make Query Table, since it doesn't put its SQL expression in a definition query, it hides the SQL expression, unlike Make Table View and Make Feature Layer.
    1. See the list of options in this post: Consistent/visible SQL expressions and query definitions in layers
    2. As far as I can tell, the SQL expression is only visible via code, such as saving the layer as a .LYRX and then viewing the JSON in a text editor. 
    3. Add Join not keeping all target features