Calculate area of polygon I draw

Jump to solution
06-20-2021 08:19 AM
Labels (1)
BetsyMacWhinney
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm a newish/beginning user, and I'm trying to calculate the area of a polygon I draw using map notes.  I understand that I can use the measurement tools to measure after I've drawn, but this is extra work and clunky, in that I have to somehow record the area  manually after I've measured.

I am trying to analyze landuse types within several 1K circles, and each may contain several different land uses that I outline with map notes.    I would love to be able to click on each of the polygons I draw and have it show the area and also be able to add that to the legend.  

Thanks for any tips!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend creating an empty shapefile with desired schema (ArcGIS Desktop or QGIS), and uploading it to ArcGIS Online (if not publishing it from ArcGIS Desktop), thus creating a hosted feature layer. 

You can edit the hosted feature layer, creating polygons and adding desired attributes along with the calculation of area and length of polygons.

Think Location

View solution in original post

DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Depending on your privileges on ArcGIS Online, Go to you 'Content'  --> 'Create' (near the top left) --> 'Feature Layer' --> 'Build a Layer' --> 'Polygons' then use that as the hosted feature layer for editing.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend creating an empty shapefile with desired schema (ArcGIS Desktop or QGIS), and uploading it to ArcGIS Online (if not publishing it from ArcGIS Desktop), thus creating a hosted feature layer. 

You can edit the hosted feature layer, creating polygons and adding desired attributes along with the calculation of area and length of polygons.

Think Location
BetsyMacWhinney
New Contributor

Thank you! I don't have ArcGIS Desktop or QGIS but maybe I should look into QGIS.  Appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Depending on your privileges on ArcGIS Online, Go to you 'Content'  --> 'Create' (near the top left) --> 'Feature Layer' --> 'Build a Layer' --> 'Polygons' then use that as the hosted feature layer for editing.

BetsyMacWhinney
New Contributor

Thanks! This gets me a lot closer.  I do have the necessary permissions to create a feature layer.  I'm a little unclear on how to calculate the area of the polygon I created in this fashion.  Thanks so much for your time.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That's a really good method mentioned by David. In case you have chosen "Build a Layer" > Polygons from the templates, Shape_Area and Shape_Length fields are already available (These fields are automatically calculated). You just need to show those fields in attribute table.

JayantaPoddar_0-1624219465650.png

JayantaPoddar_1-1624219517137.png

You could also Show the Field from Item Details page of the Hosted Feature Layer (Data tab > Table).

JayantaPoddar_2-1624219691829.png

In case you see blank pop-up of Shape_Area while creating the shape, keep it blank and close. It will be calculated automatically.

JayantaPoddar_0-1624220620185.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I should also say that these areas are almost useless as the shapefile is created in web mercator.  I'd recommend creating a new attribute expression where:

AreaGeodetic(geometry($feature), 'kilometers')