ArcGIS Online - Data Driven Pages?

04-12-2016 04:55 AM
LukeWebb
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have 100 layers covering approximately 100 catchments (Geographic areas).

We have setup data driven pages, to create 1 map per catchment, and using page definition query are able to filter the features to only the ones present within the catchment. (They have a catchment attribute).

I now need to publish my 100 maps online, does anyone have any tips for how best to achieve this?

Thoughts

Do I need to publish an filtered service for every map??? All data has a catchment attribute so I really dont want to do this and spawn 1000s of published services.

I can filter using ArcGIS online interface, but it will take hours to create each map applying the filter to each layer.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Luke,

Would an interactive web application work?  For example, you could create a web map with the catchment layer, and then create a web application from this using the Web AppBuilder.  Web AppBuilder has a query widget that you could configure for the end user to select the catchment they are interested in.

LukeWebb

Very helpful thank you!

I wont mark as correct answer, as ideally I would love to be able to create unique "Pages" on the web, to mirror the "pages" created offline, without my users having to query data.

(Ideally a unique map for each page, with permissions on each page so I can connect individuals with their page, and not let them see others data)

0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

if it is able for you to create a custom javascript app then you can use 1 service and use definition query on run time in order to filter which features will be available to each user.

Before that you have to calculate for all features the page belong to. then you may use this field in order to filter the features for each layer.

On the other hand you can create a geoprocessing tool for this and create Pdf maps

see here

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6e1a9ba51f234c08858f74a7a2503f08

those are some thoughts....

PaigeFlorie
New Contributor II

Hello, I know this is an old post but we are trying to use data driven pages with a GP tool and the process keeps failing at the export to pdf line. Were you able to get this to work? I don't have access to your GP tool but I would appreciate any help or guidance you could give on how you were able to get the GP tool to export.

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin

use bookmarks to zoom into the desired "page" area of the map

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

With mine I used a geoprocessing tool to send the page wanted back to the server which responded with a PDF.  The geo tool was a simple python script that told ddp the page wanted and then export to pdf.  Not sure if that is what you wanted but may help.  Now getting it to populate a pick list..easy if static hard if dynamic.

AhnaMiller2
Occasional Contributor

Hey Doug, do you have an example of what your UI actually looks like that runs this? Any chance you can share some of the code you used for the GP tool? And is it a PDF by PDF basis or does it work to create multiple maps?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The UI was just a text box that asked for a jobname and a drop down of map names.  (It was actually just the Geoprocessing widget straight up with no code chance.)  That jobname and mapname is sent to the server where it runs a python script.  That script simply opens the map they asked for, calls ddp.exportToPDF(pdfName, "RANGE", str(i)) then sends a link to that pdf back to the user.

AhnaMiller2
Occasional Contributor

THANK YOU!

0 Kudos