Arcade expression to symbolise attribute from related table for most recent date only that will also show in collector

08-24-2020 09:31 PM
CraigGadaloff
New Contributor II

Hi,

Is there a way that I can update the symbology of my feature class based on the most recent attribute value entered into a related table (in collector and/or AGOL/Pro). 

I have a point feature class with a related table where the 'project status' is added as a new record each time it is changed.  I need to symbolise the most recent status. This must show up straight away in collector as well as in AGOL (upon sync if needed).

Is there an arcade expression(?) for this that is also compatible in collector?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Craig Gadaloff ,

Defining symbology does not allow you to dynamically connect to a related table. This would requiere a FeatureSetBy* function and those are not available in the symbology profile. There are also limitations in Collector for the support of Arcade, but as far as I know the beta ArcGIS Field Maps has better support for it. If you would work with Enterprise you could use Attribute Rules to achieve the goal, but there is not support in AGOL for Attribute Rules at the moment. You could probably schedule a task in Pro with a Field Calculation and an Arcade expression to update the information, but it will depend of the frequency of the scheduled task if the data reflects the changes.

What I have seen before is that the feature itself contains the state of the project that should be changed when adding another additional record. This will have support everywhere in the platform.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Xander

It appears the FeatureSetBy function is now available in the attribute expressions for popups.  So how would one accomplish what Craig is trying to do?

Thanks,

Katie

0 Kudos
CassiePorter
New Contributor II

Thanks Xander. I need to record what the project status was changed to and when the project status was changed (for each change). The symbology needs to automatically update in collector so a Pro field calculation can't be used and updating the feature itself won't record these changes I believe, unless both the related table and feature is updated with the same/similar data (and likely the user will only update one). Are you able to confirm if attribute rules (including FetaureSetBy) will be fully supported in the new Field Maps Ap?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Cassie Porter ,

I am sorry, buy I have not yet had the chance to play around a lot with Arcade in the new Field Maps App. I know that there will be better support for Arcade, but not sure what will be included and what not. Best way to find out would be to try it yourself by joining the beta program: ArcGIS Field Maps 

This would also be the place to request this functionality in case it is not included yet. 

0 Kudos