Arcade Expr skips empty in MV Classic but not in New MV

Jump to solution
02-23-2022 11:48 AM
RaenaDeMaris
New Contributor III

Greetings all.

I created a custom pop-up in MV Classic that includes values from 7 text attribute fields, plus up to 3 photos. 3 of the 7 fields are links to web pages, and I successfully configured the popup in Arcade to exclude rows with missing values for those 3 fields. (Sidebar: because the attributes with some missing values are links to web pages, I have not been able to figure out--despite exhaustive effort--how to collapse the resulting empty rows.) The popup worked well in MV classic and showed all of the text fields, with the photos at the bottom.

Here's the problem: I was requested to switch the order of the display such that it shows some text fields, then the media photos, and then the remaining text fields beneath that (for use in the feature information card in Web Experience Builder). When I re-order the popup info in new map viewer, the Arcade expression I used before loses functionality--all rows are displayed, even though they contain empty data, resulting in text that should be a link but doesn't have anything to link to, rather than a blank, empty line. The HTML that I try to copy over from old to new popup configuration fails. Below is a screen capture of the new popup and configuration in New MV, and following are my original Arcade expressions and the HTML in MV Classic that doesn't seem to translate in new MV.

What am I doing wrong?

RaenaDeMaris_0-1645645437873.png

Arcade expressions that worked in MV Classic (but returned a blank line if empty once formatted as links)

return IIF(IsEmpty($feature.Embeds), 'none', 'inline')

return IIF(IsEmpty($feature.Link1), 'none', 'inline')

The bottom attribute link is never empty, but the other two might be.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

raena

rbd
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @RaenaDeMaris ,

You would probably end up doing something like:

var expr1 = 'Include the result of expr1 here' // {expression/expr1}
var expr2 = 'Include the result of expr2 here' // {expression/expr2}
var expr8 = 'Include the result of expr8 here' // {expression/expr8}
var expr9 = 'Include the result of expr9 here' // {expression/expr9}

var html = '<div style="background-color:#' + expr8 + ';padding:5px;">';
html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<span style="color:#' + expr9 + ';">';
html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<strong>' + $feature.CatDescrip + ': ' + $feature.Organization + '</strong>';
html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '</span></div>';
html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<span style="' + expr1 + '">';
html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<br />' + $feature.VictoryTitle + '<br />';
html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '</span><i><b><font color="#46C8F3"><br />' + $feature.Pop + ' benefitted from the victory!</font></b>';
html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<br /></i>';
html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<span style="display:' + expr2 + '"><br />' + $feature.VictDescrip + '<br /> </span>';
html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<br />';

if (!IsEmpty($feature.Embeds)) {
    html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<span><a href="' + $feature.Embeds + '" target="_blank">Visit the Victory' + "'s Media Page</a></span>";
} 

if (!IsEmpty($feature.Link1)) {
    html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<span><a href="' + $feature.Link1 + '" target="_blank">Learn More About the Victory</a></span>';
}

html += TextFormatting.NewLine + '<a href="' + $feature.Link2 + '" target="_blank">Go to Waterkeeper Website</a>';

return {'type': "text", 'text': html};

View solution in original post

17 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I believe this is because as of right now, the new map viewer cannot be configured via HTML source the way the Classic map viewer could. Your HTML tags that hide elements based on a "display" attribute aren't going to function as intended.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RaenaDeMaris
New Contributor III

Hi Josh, thank you for responding. So, what you're saying is that with the current functionality, there's no way to skip the empty attributes here?

rbd
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That is my understanding of the situation, yes. There may be other ways to display your links, but they won't be as nicely formatted. But better HTML support is on the road map, I believe.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RaenaDeMaris
New Contributor III

Thank you. I hesitate to accept this as a solution... but thanks.

rbd
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I understand. "You can't do it" doesn't actually solve anything, even if it's the answer at the moment. But it is something that should be solved, and hopefully soon.

The related idea (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-ideas/html-support-in-new-map-viewer-for-pop-ups/idi-p/1...) does have an Esri staff person stating it should be in the next versions of things. Must have missed the December AGOL update, but it sounds like it can't be far off.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RaenaDeMaris
New Contributor III

That's hopeful news. Thanks again!

rbd
0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi @RaenaDeMaris  and @jcarlson ,

If I can chime in... there is a way to create HTML in the pop-up of the new map viewer. The way to do this is not to create an expression that appears as a "virtual field" (red rectangle below), but to add an Arcade content element (green rectangles below):

XanderBakker_0-1645656188520.png

This way you can generate HTML and it will appear in the pop-up, like this example below:

XanderBakker_1-1645656261405.png

You can use different styles, create lists, include multiple links stored in related data, etc... 

RaenaDeMaris
New Contributor III

Thanks Xander! This must be a fairly new functionality? It doesn't seem to work if I just copy over the old Arcade expressions. What am I missing?

rbd
0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi @RaenaDeMaris ,

When you add an Arcade content element, the idea is that you can create HTML. Now I haven't checked the support for every available HTML, however, if you can share the entire Arcade expression you are using I can have a look. 

Edit:

In order to avoid that you have to create a table and hide elements from that table manually in the HTML output, you could have a look at the Field Maps application. This may sound strange, but the idea is that this application allows you to hide fields conditionally and that is stored in the json definition of the map and the new map viewer is able to handle this. However, if you are planning the use the web map in for instance a dashboard or an instant app, not all other applications have support for this information in the json.

0 Kudos