How to add multiple layer and legend to ARGOL Crowdsource Polling webapp

Jump to solution
08-01-2016 08:17 AM
MarkCooper5
Occasional Contributor II

We are shortly doing some public consultation on potential locally listed buildings and I need to deploy a webmap which displays the information about each building and invites the public to comment. I have tried the Crowdsource Polling template and it appears to do just this.

However, I now need to display another layer on the map (Conservation Areas). As soon as this is added, the map no longer allows comments to be added. Is this possible at all?

If I can get this to work, I will also need to display a layer list/legend and, ideally, be able to switch basemaps to have the option of an aerial image.Does anyone know how to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Allison Muise

Allison Muise

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

Mark Cooper

Sometimes it helps just knowing that something SHOULD work

Yes, adding a legend widget would require a JS developer. Knowledge of our API would certainly be helpful, but there are plenty of samples on the developer site that would help ease the learning curve for others.

Yes, currently you only get popup info for the layer on which comments are being collected. I can see the need for more information from the other layers, though. I'll put that in as something to consider for a future release.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AllisonMuise1

Mark Cooper

Adding an additional layer for information purposes should not impact your ability to add comments to your first layer. Can you elaborate on what you mean by

the map no longer allows comments to be added.

Is there no comment button at all? If the button is there, can you describe in more detail what happens when you try to submit one?

Can you confirm that you have selected the layer for which you'd like to collect comments in the application configuration?

There isn't a legend widget in the application, but if the symbology is complex enough that a legend is required, you could add a picture of the legend to the Information/Help panel. Alternatively, you can add your own legend (or basemap) widget by downloading the application code from github, customizing it, and then hosting the app locally.

-Allison

0 Kudos
MarkCooper5
Occasional Contributor II

Allison Muise

Thanks for the reply.

I have recreated the web map and app and the comment button is now showing. Not really sure what went wrong with that - I probably did something silly!

With regard to the legend, it would be great to add the widget and host it locally (at least in the future!). I presume it takes a reasonable knowledge of the JS API to add those widgets? If so, I may be able to speak nicely to our developer who knows a bit about javascript, but not specifically the Esri API. For the time being, I think we will have to add it to the help.

Also, I presume the identify function only works for the layer you are collecting comments on?

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Mark Cooper

Sometimes it helps just knowing that something SHOULD work

Yes, adding a legend widget would require a JS developer. Knowledge of our API would certainly be helpful, but there are plenty of samples on the developer site that would help ease the learning curve for others.

Yes, currently you only get popup info for the layer on which comments are being collected. I can see the need for more information from the other layers, though. I'll put that in as something to consider for a future release.

0 Kudos