Errors geocoding Colombian municipalities

Jump to solution
06-20-2017 03:38 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dear all

I am trying to create my first PowerBI visualization using ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI. I have a dataset with information about Colombian municipalities. This dataset includes the DIVIPOLA code and the name of all the municipalities (can be checked, eg. here: Divipola) However, when I configure the "Location Type", using this DIVIPOLA code ( pointing to polygon municipalities in Colombia), some of them do not get matched (eg. Buenaventura, with code 76109, or Medellín with code 05001). I assume that, for most of the municipalities, the DIVIPOLA code is working fine... but... why is not working for all? Is there any service I can use for checking the "available" values for this codes or indeed for the Municipality names  ?

Number of datarows in my list of variables is about 1120 . Using names instead of DIVIPOLA codes generates a worse result.

Thank you in advance

Jesús de Diego

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Scott

Ejem.....This is a bit embarrassing for me ... The problem is on my side. My dataset contains only 973 records and not the 1122 official municipalities in Colombia I was expecting...

Sorry for the confusion and, in any case, thank you very much

Regards

Jesús de Diego

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jesús - thanks for the question! We are working on some enhancements to the matching logic right now so this is a very timely question. The link in your message didn't work, but could you possibly provide to me the dataset you are working with so we can test out our new matching logic? This would be extremely helpful for us - and assuming it works it will let you know the map will soon handle your dataset properly.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Scott

Ejem.....This is a bit embarrassing for me ... The problem is on my side. My dataset contains only 973 records and not the 1122 official municipalities in Colombia I was expecting...

Sorry for the confusion and, in any case, thank you very much

Regards

Jesús de Diego

0 Kudos
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

No problem! Glad you were able to track down the problem. We could always use good global datasets to test with, so if you have a sanitized version you could send me that would be much appreciated! If not, no worries.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dear Scott

First of all, sorry for the delay, I took a few days off.

The final list of municipalities codes I was using has been extracted from here:

DIVIPOLA- Codigos municipios | Datos Abiertos Colombia 

This list seems to be the same that this one: http://sige.dane.gov.co/Geoportal/principal/documentos/Municipios%20y%20Centros%20Poblados.XLS  

in https://www.dane.gov.co/index.php/categoria-economicas/138-espanol/1920-division-politico-administra...  

Additionally, merging all these shapefiles : Inicio  (2012 version) also gives a coherent result [1].

Hope this helps

Jesús de Diego

[1] If you want, I can send you a merged copy of these departamental shapefiles. Please, let me know at jdediego at idom dot com 

0 Kudos