Custom Reference layer in Power BI

06-20-2019 11:38 AM
Rick_Brown
New Contributor

Anyone able to lend a hand here, I have an Esri Plus membership and I to Argis Online, upload a custom location file and create a Map showing locations of our Stores. Everything looks great up there, I then save the map, share it to public, add tags and save it again. All seems great. Ready to be used as a reference layer in BI right? 

Well, I go into Power BI, go to my Esri Map plug in and go into edit mode. I then search for reference layer on the Argis site and cannot seem to find the new map I shared anywhere, no matter the tag or name I search. Anyone able to get this working. I know at one time it worked, but that was some months back and for some reason now, nothing.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Hi Rick,

Do you have an ArcGIS for Power BI Plus license or an ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Creators License? The bad news is that you need an AGOL Creators license to create Hosted Reference Layers for Power BI. Good news is if you have an AGOL license its a painless process after that... as long as you are keeping it simple.

I've been able to create a reference layer in Power BI by uploading a CSV file containing store name, Lat and Long into AGOL. However, although colour coding transferred through to the visual, the point labels (store name) did not.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos