ArcGIS Field Maps: Offline Areas Failed to Download - 'Feature tiling disabled'

12-13-2021 10:21 AM
JeremiahJones
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone else has been having this issue. I can set up an offline area in the Field Maps online web application, then when I try to download that offline area on Field Maps Mobile (tested on two android devices) I receive the "Offline Areas Failed to Download" Error and the log tells me that feature tiling is disabled. Now this is frustrating. However, when I create on offline area in the Field Maps Mobile App, the map is created an downloads just fine. 

I assume this is an ESRI bug but I want to air it out on the forum first to see if anyone else is replicating this issue elsewhere.

37 Replies
JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Just daily...impossible to use lately. It says layer errors but nothing readable is shown and I have to waste half a day of work to rebuild the webmap every time!!!!!! Anyone with a permanent solution?

JoabelBarbieri_0-1682449008059.png

JCooley_ClackamasSWCD
New Contributor III

Field Maps generates a log that can be viewed and exported.  From the main page click on your profile and then scroll down to "Troubleshooting".  It will probably be helpful to clear the log before trying to download the offline map so you don't have so much to look through.  Tech support will probably ask for this when you file a help ticket.  

0 Kudos
AmyPearson
New Contributor

This worked for me: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-ideas/copies-of-layers-causing-issues-for-download-o...

In Field Maps, I looked under Profile > Troubleshooting > View log which showed an error about not supporting duplicate feature layers. I went into the web map, removed the duplicate feature layer, then the offline area downloaded properly. 

KWilliams
New Contributor III

Hello -

I commented on this about a year ago and I've never found a solution to downloading in Field Maps. I have not been able to find the correlation for why it works sometimes but not others. I spoke with Esri tech support about it a few weeks ago. He was able to rule out for me (for my specific situation) that internet was not the issue, photo syncing was not the issue. He suspected (in my situation) that my database was corrupted. The tough part is that we really don't have the time to be running through all the troubleshooting options while the crews can also work from the online map. Other suggestions provided: check for field maps update in app store, sign out/sign back in, verify internet connection for download/sync (the typical troubleshooting). My crewman ended up working on the live map. (I basically told tech never mind, since I don't have access to the tablet, I don't have direct contact with the sub contractor collecting, and the project has since completed)

He forwarded me this documentation. Based on my conversation with the Esri rep, creating the work areas ahead of time in Field Maps is the best practice for creating offline maps ahead of time. I have yet to try this. 

Take your web maps offline with Field Maps 

Not sure this post will help anyone but maybe it will!

0 Kudos
TravisSizemore
Occasional Contributor

@KWilliams thanks for the update. I have also tried using pre-defined offline areas and they also often fail. The best approach we've found for reliable offline use is to use ArcGIS Pro to create a mobile map package, then send it to all the users with instructions to side-load. The caveat to this approach is that you need to find imagery for your field areas first as you can't use ESRI basemap imagery.

Travis

0 Kudos
DavidPenton1
New Contributor II

Hello,

So I went on vacation and came back last week and I tried publishing a webmap via Arc Pro instead of uploading the feature classes in GDB's separately to ArcGIS Online to turn into feature layers.  Basically I separated all my feature classes into individual GDB's locally on my hard drive but when I had them added to my Arc Pro .aprx and I published as a webmap it uploaded all those separate feature in separate file geodatabases as a single Feature Layer on ArcGIS Online like they were all housed inside one File Geodatabase.  The result was that everything worked when I tried to download locally via Field Maps.  

Basically this is the #1 solution I have found to this issue.

LarryW
by
New Contributor II

It's now nearly 2 years since your original post and creating an offline map area is still just as problematic as it was then. ESRI's put like zero energy into this annoying problem. Still no error messages, you set up the offline map area and press 'Create Offline area", and the program just sits there stupidly until you finally give up and close the program.

Adriwil
New Contributor

I was able to get the solution from ESRI Tech Supp.
From ArcGIS online > Settings > Feature Layer (hosted) > and check the box for Export Data. 

After doing so, restart mobile app and should be fine.

Adriwil_0-1704919749809.png