Experience Builder - No Data message

Jump to solution
08-13-2020 11:09 AM
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

I have a multi-page Experience Builder app and when it goes to the second page (via a button), it is sometimes slow to respond and displays a "No Data" message until the data finally appears (usually 2-3 second lag, but occasionally 5-6 seconds, i.e. FOREVER in browser time).  It does this regardless of whether the data is one of my local services or a hosted AGOL service.  Typically this happens the FIRST time page 2 is opened, then seems to work better for subsequent operations within the same browser session.

Experience 

This is not a good message to put in front of the users.  Is there any way to control this message and instead say "Data Loading...", "Sorry I'm so slow" or something like that?

David Martinez

Thanks,

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

We look into this. Other areas you can also improve the speed is by adding an extent filter so only the records in the list display as you already have a zoom action. Then maybe add a button and pin it on the second page and give it a label View all for those who are interested in the full list.

David 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

OK, this is a little cheesy, but I've added a "PLEASE WAIT WHILE DATA LOADS" text box to Page 2 that is "sent to back".  So this message displays until the data loads into the list on top of it and visually blocks it.  

It's a crude band-aid.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

We look into this. Other areas you can also improve the speed is by adding an extent filter so only the records in the list display as you already have a zoom action. Then maybe add a button and pin it on the second page and give it a label View all for those who are interested in the full list.

David 

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.  ExpBuilder has come a long way from the Beta and is headed in a promising direction.  

Jay
Washoe County GIS
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

I have a similar question. I have a long lag before anything on the page loads. I know hub as a little animation that indicates it is loading. Is there a way to add something into Experience builder? I am worried about publishing it to the public and they would think nothing is happening & close it before it loads.

0 Kudos
KimberlyMcCallum
New Contributor III

My feature service consists of less than 10 points and it's still slow to load so I don't think this is the best solution. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
KimberlyMcCallum
New Contributor III

Thanks for this 'band-aid' workaround idea! I agree that this is not ideal but it gets the job done so thank you for sharing. @DavidMartinez  Maybe the ExB developers could implement customizable error boundaries for ExB users https://reactjs.org/docs/error-boundaries.html? Or at least offer a loading spinner or the like... I have a very small/simple feature service that sometimes takes aaaaaages to load and my users get sad and tell me it's broken! I added a text message like Jay suggested but it's not ideal. 

0 Kudos
JonathanMcDougall

@JayJohnsonWashoeCounty @KimberlyMcCallum  I know waiting for calculations to happen can be a little annoying for the end user, I know it frustrates me too as it's not instant, however, did you know you can change the name of the Expression ?
If you have already inserted an Expression eg; (SUM(FIELD), you can select this expression then in the Dynamic Content context menu, select Expression, you'll see the name of the Expression - I just change this to Calculating or something similar.

No need to add anything into a text box etc. as it's part of the expression.

0 Kudos