Select to view content in your preferred language

Add Text/Annotation functionality to the ArcGIS Experience Builder 'Draw' widget

05-15-2024 07:04 AM
Labels (2)
PriscillaThoopthong
New Contributor III

The WAB draw widget had a Text tool that allowed users to add text anywhere on the map.  EB draw tool does not have this functionality

6 Comments
Shauna-RaeBrown

My users EXPECT to be able to add text with the draw widget.  Additionally, for ease of updating the "experience" app, we can't use developer/custom widgets.

JeffreyThompson2

The product team is working on it. For those who can't wait, here is a custom draw widget with a text option.

JeffPace1

This is pretty much required functionality.

DanCopKac

Adding another upvote, that my whole organization, a major North American Railway company, needs this feature. And also, while we're in this discussion, a customizable scale bar, and option to add multiple scale bars even, all of which were available in WAB. 

In the meantime, I've found a workaround within the Draw widget, that is being circulated in my organization and the staff are using this method right now to markup their drawings to other non-GIS departments being introduced to Esri ArcGIS. It even supports Bold font and different sizes! Workaround shown in the screenshot example:

Text in Draw Widget.PNG

DavidColey

Hear Hear.  Yeah, we really need this . . . 

DanCopKac

Guys we really need to stop complaining. Esri is clearly a forward thinking company, and this widget is SOOOO forward thinking that while we are here thinking the use case for the Draw widget's development is for us, GIS Analysts and Developers, to label our drawings, Esri, in all their forward-thinkingness has actually developed the widget according to the use cases for the CHILDREN of said GIS Analysts and Developers! 

While their parents are working on the analysis, the CHILDREN can use the Draw widget to doodle on the map, just like when you go to your favourite restaurant and ask for a colouring book and crayons for the children to draw on the menu!

Obviously there is no other use case where Analysts would want to draw or mark items on a map without labels, especially when this is hammered into our heads as some of the BASICS of cartography and map design in school (or even in industry) so clearly we have all missed the point of the Draw widget! It is actually for CHILDREN and not the GIS workers!