Why in Enterprise (onsite Portal) do I have to keep entering my credential every time I change the page.

03-25-2020 12:35 PM
FrankMartin1
New Contributor III

Why in Enterprise (onsite Portal) do I have to keep entering my credential every time I change the page. Here are some examples: move from Content page to Groups page; in a web map and trying to add a layers; try to go back to the Content page from a web map, trying to save a web map, etc.?  Eventually, I get locked out.  It seems like it's coming form the browser.  Is this an IIS issue or a Portal issue?  Our Portal is using Windows Authentication.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Frank Martin‌,

I believe that prompt may be coming from IIS. I would recommend reviewing the authentication settings for the server and portal web adaptors in IIS. If Windows Authentication is enabled at the server web adaptor level this can cause additional login prompts in portal. 

When you are prompted what type of credentials do you provide (e.g. Windows)? 

• Is Anonymous Authentication or Windows Authentication enabled at the following levels:
    • Web Server?
    • Default Web Site?
    • Portal Web Adaptor?
    • Server Web Adaptor?

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Kudos
FrankMartin1
New Contributor III

HI Thomas,

Here’s the way we have authentication set up below. Let me if you think there are changed that we need to make.

Best regards,

Frank

When you are prompted what type of credentials do you provide (e.g. Windows)?

I’m really not sure. The prompt includes the URL to our web server. Sometime using Windows credentials works. We’re using Windows authentication for our Portal. Sometimes you can select “Cancel” and you stop getting prompted for a while.

• Is Anonymous Authentication or Windows Authentication enabled at the following levels:

• Web Server

• Anonymous Authentication - Enabled

• Windows Authentication - Enabled

• Default Web Site

• Portal Web Adaptor

• Anonymous Authentication - Disabled

• Server Web Adaptor (Host ArcGIS Server)

• Windows Authentication - Disabled

0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hi Frank,

Thanks for additional information, I would recommend disabling Windows Authentication at the 'Web Server' and 'Default Web Site' levels. Then test to see whether that effects the log in prompts. In most situations you would want to user either Windows Authentication or Anonymous Authentication but not both simultaneously.

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Kudos
FrankMartin1
New Contributor III

HI Thomas,

Thanks so much for the information. I have disabled Windows Authentication for the web server and the default web site, and after some time testing, it seems to work. Thanks again for your help. This has been a bit of an issue for us when using Portal.

Best Regards,

Frank

0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hi Frank,

Great, glad that resolved the issue.

Thanks

Thomas.

0 Kudos