Migrating Portal and Web Adaptors to a New Machine

07-02-2019 04:16 PM
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I currently have a deployment scenario where Portal and two web adaptors (portal and server) are all installed on a single machine. The server is running Windows Server 2008 and I would like to migrate Portal and the web adaptors to a new machine running a higher version of Windows.

I've read Esri's documentation regarding migrating to new machines, but I can't find much about migrating web adaptors. My preferred method is to go the HA route and create a second Portal and join the two, then unregister the old Portal on 2008.

But how would I migrate the web adaptors to a new machine? Is it as simple as just un-installing on the old machine, and re-install on the new machine? Or is it going to be more complicated then that?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Ryan,

The newest versions of ArcGIS Server and Portal both support more than a single web adaptor.

That will let you install a new hot-hot/cross-over web adaptor for Server and another one for Portal on the (soon to be) Portal server.

RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

That’s a good point, I think I was over-thinking it. I forgot you could install multiple web adaptors with the same name as long as they are on different machines. I would just install the Server and Portal web adaptor on the new machine with the same name as it is now. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Server supports multiple web adaptors, but Portal can only support multiple web adaptors if the Web Context URL is set. You can't change the URL of a base deployment, though, so the URL to the new web adaptor, (https://webadaptor.domain.com/portal/webadaptor), has to be the same as the old one. You can achieve this using an etc\hosts entry, which is covered a bit in a different migration blog using the DR tool:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/administration/migrate-to-a-new-machine-...

If you have an existing web adaptor and register another one that uses the same URL, (again, using an etc\hosts entry for local hostname resolution), it will just overwrite the existing web adaptor that Portal knows about.

If it's a different URL and the Web Context URL isn't set, you'll get an error.