Dashboard-Map-Layer Actions

Jump to solution
02-06-2019 01:36 PM
JosephJose
New Contributor III

Not sure where I am going wrong or is my understanding wrong.

What does the Map -> Layer Actions do?

I have a map with a indicator attached to the layer. When I switch off the layer, I want the corresponding "Indicator" to go blank. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joseph,

> What does the Map -> Layer Actions do?

This is a configurable option, so when an event occurs on a layer (e.g., a selection) it triggers an action in a target element. Supported actions are described in this help topic:

Configure actions on dashboard elements—Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

(see the Operational Layer section)

> When I switch off the layer, I want the corresponding "Indicator" to go blank. Is that possible?

What do you mean by "switch off the layer"? Do you mean, when you uncheck the layer in the Layer Visibility tool in the Map element?

If yes, then no - this is not a supported workflow in Operations Dashboard.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Joseph,

> What does the Map -> Layer Actions do?

This is a configurable option, so when an event occurs on a layer (e.g., a selection) it triggers an action in a target element. Supported actions are described in this help topic:

Configure actions on dashboard elements—Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

(see the Operational Layer section)

> When I switch off the layer, I want the corresponding "Indicator" to go blank. Is that possible?

What do you mean by "switch off the layer"? Do you mean, when you uncheck the layer in the Layer Visibility tool in the Map element?

If yes, then no - this is not a supported workflow in Operations Dashboard.

Hope this helps,

JosephJose
New Contributor III

Thanks Derek. That answered my questions.

Just for the knowledge  part

What does the "Layer Actions" tab do? I seem to miss the documentation on that front. Perhaps some words in your own would be helpful. 

Can I assume that items in the tab are still in beta?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Joseph,

Apologies for the late reply. I have been out of the office on business travel the last several weeks.

> What does the "Layer Actions" tab do? I seem to miss the documentation on that front. Perhaps some words in your own would be helpful.

"Layer Actions" are interactions that you can set on layers within the web map. For example, if you were to select a feature on a layer in the Map element, it could apply a filter to a target element in the Dashboard. Please see the Operational Layer section in the help topic I referenced previously.

> Can I assume that items in the tab are still in beta?

No, the items on the "Layer Actions" are not beta - they should be working fine and as designed.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
AnninaHirschiWyss
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Derek Law‌,

You say that changing the layer visibilty affecting the widgets is unsupported. Does that mean not YET or definitely?

Another solution for my issue with this would be to have the possibility to show nothing or everything in the same selector.

Are there any plans to implement something like that?

Thx

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Annina,

Can you please email me your enhancement requirements for Ops Dashboard directly (dlaw@esri.com) so we can discuss further? I'm not clear on what you're asking for.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JamesTanis
New Contributor

Was there any follow up on this?  I would like the widgets to change when the map layers change.  Also what about new map drawn (Choropleth map) when using the category selector.

Thanks,

James  

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi James,

> Was there any follow up on this? 

FYI, Annina Hirschi Wyss sent me her feedback, which I've logged with the Dev team.

> I would like the widgets to change when the map layers change. Also what about new map drawn (Choropleth map) when using the category selector.

It would be helpful if you could provide more details and use cases. For example, in the first statement: what do you mean by "change"? Are you wanting that completely different elements to appear in the UI when you select a different layer in the map? or that the contents displayed in dashboard elements update when a different data layer is selected? or something else?

In the second statement, are you asking if a filter can be applied to the data displayed in the map element via the category selector? This is already possible in dashboard. Or are you asking for something else? If so, please elaborate.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
JamesTanis
New Contributor

Ok, Ill try to answer your first question.  I would like the contents in the widgets to update when a different layer is selected.  I could have the same variable names in the different layers but would possible like to the titles of the widgets dynamically change when a new layer is selected.  

As for my second statement I should have been more clear.  I would like the layers to be selected like the how the category selector works.  So there would be a drop down box and a new layer would be drawn.

I guess the best way to explain to explain all this all is for me to send you a written example of what my data is and what im exactly trying to accomplish.  What's your email so I can send this to you?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi James,

> I would like the contents in the widgets to update when a different layer is selected. 

This is possible now by configuring an action on an operational layer,

Configure actions on dashboard elements—ArcGIS Dashboards | Documentation 

> ... would possible like to the titles of the widgets dynamically change when a new layer is selected.  

This is not possible in ArcGIS Dashboards. Please submit an enhancement on the ArcGIS Ideas site for dashboards.

> I would like the layers to be selected like the how the category selector works.  So there would be a drop down box and a new layer would be drawn.

Adding a new layer dynamically to the dashboard via a selector is not possible in dashboard. Please submit an enhancement on the ArcGIS Ideas site for dashboards.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos