Disable Geometry Edits in Collector

09-21-2016 01:31 PM
RyanEckdale-Dudley
New Contributor III

How do I disable geometry edits in ArcGIS Online using a AGOL hosted feature service?  I would still like to be able to add, edit new related records and feature attributes,  (Using Collector) but make sure field staff are not accidentally  moving points after selecting a feature. It seems like this is a common issue, just not sure this is possible unless the feature service is hosted on ArcGIS Server, which allows geometry edits to be disabled. Is an update in the works?

13 Replies
DarraghO_Keeffe
New Contributor II

Would also like to see this functionality.  I have a need to edit feature attributes without the option to move or alter points, and then add related records to record field inspections.

I added this as an enhancement request to ideas also

0 Kudos
deleted-user-aT9BCrgkP4kc
New Contributor III

Did anyone ever get a response on this? 

0 Kudos
Bartlett_Sam
New Contributor II

Does using the smart editor widget help in this situation? You have to click the checkbox within the edit form to alter geometry,  leaving it unchecked prevents the feature being moved during editing.

0 Kudos
TaupoDistrict_Council
Occasional Contributor

I am having a similar issue.  I have a layer which is used within collector to update information, but somehow the geometry gets accidently edited as well.  I can't turn off geometry editing for this layer as it is also used in a webapp where they do want to purposefully edit features (just not in the field).

I think the way around it currently would be to make a view of the layer which has geometry editing disabled but keep the original layer and have geometry editing on that layer.  In the case above where they might be creating new areas within Collector, I would suggest having both layers in the map, but have the geometry editing one turned off by default so that they have to purposefully turn it on (but then also remember to turn it off) for creating new areas.

I've added an idea which sums up the desire to be able to turn on/off editing at the map level.  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-collector-ideas/option-to-disable-geometry-editing-in-collector... 

0 Kudos