Why is Spyder 3.2.8 not working with ArcGIS API for Python 1.4.1?

Jump to solution
05-08-2018 03:04 PM
James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

I have been trying to update to Spyder 3.2.8, and I finally did by installing it first before updating to ArcGIS API for Python 1.4.1. However, now Spyder will not work...it keeps crashing.

In a previous attempt, I tried to install ArcGIS API for Python 1.4.1 first, then install Spyder 3.2.8 via the Python Command Prompt with: 

conda install spyder

This said that it would need to downgrade the ArcGIS API for Python 1.4.1 to 1.2.5. It didn't work...

What is the deal? Spyder is a mission critical IDE for me as it is sometimes the only IDE that will work for syntax errors for arcpy in Python 3.

Dan Patterson‌, do you know what is going on? Why does the Python Package Manager seem to be so fickle? Can this be fixed ASAP please?

I think this may also have been an issue from a previous post of mine ArcGIS Pro 2.0 Python Manager Update Packages Not Working‌.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

Dan,

Thanks for responding. I pretty much do everything you have discussed, but I tired install via conda in my troubleshooting. I haven't figured out how to do updates via Spyder, I have always done them through the package manager.

As I have tried to troubleshoot further, I am pretty sure there were some weird permission things going on as I have non-standard, limited admin rights on my workstation. I think that I have fixed the issue, or at least a workaround, and there may not be any more issues. I simply updated the permissions on the arcgispro-py3 folder to include all users. I think I will consider this answered for my case.

PS...The only question for you was really the first one. I have noticed you seem to keep on top of all things Python, so I thought you might have an idea or have been aware of the issue. The other questions were for the community or Esri...I realize that to actually get this issue fixed, a bug notification would need to be submitted.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

James... to be extra safe, I usually install packages from the Package manager within PRO (Project page, Python,)

There have been instances where I have had to roll back upgrades etc when I did a conda install or update.

Pro, doesn't give you any messages and the package manager sometimes updates its list and sometimes it doesn't.  Usually if it doesn't update there is some 'reason' but you are kept in the dark... unlike through conda.

As for Spyder, my initial install was through the aforementioned method.

Updates, I do through Spyder and I haven't had an issue.

PS... I don't do the fixing... that would require a tech support call

0 Kudos
James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

Dan,

Thanks for responding. I pretty much do everything you have discussed, but I tired install via conda in my troubleshooting. I haven't figured out how to do updates via Spyder, I have always done them through the package manager.

As I have tried to troubleshoot further, I am pretty sure there were some weird permission things going on as I have non-standard, limited admin rights on my workstation. I think that I have fixed the issue, or at least a workaround, and there may not be any more issues. I simply updated the permissions on the arcgispro-py3 folder to include all users. I think I will consider this answered for my case.

PS...The only question for you was really the first one. I have noticed you seem to keep on top of all things Python, so I thought you might have an idea or have been aware of the issue. The other questions were for the community or Esri...I realize that to actually get this issue fixed, a bug notification would need to be submitted.

0 Kudos