Unable to apply edits

Jump to solution
12-13-2011 09:19 AM
JamesWhisenhunt
New Contributor III
I am trying to create an application similar to the ESRI citizen request sample.  I am running into a problem where I am unable to apply my edits.  The error code is:

{"error":{"code":400,"message":"Unable to complete  operation.","details":["Unable to apply edits"]}}

I have:

1. registered the feature class as versioned

2. permissions have been given. I am able to edit without problem in ArcMap; is there something else I need to do.

3. checked to make sure editing is enabled on the service

Any help is greatly appreciated.
James
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesWhisenhunt
New Contributor III
Now that the holidays are over I have had time to look at this again. 

My problem was the ArcGISSoc account needed to have grant privileges added to the feature class.  This was a very simple solution that drove me crazy for a while.

James

View solution in original post

28 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
I am trying to create an application similar to the ESRI citizen request sample.  I am running into a problem where I am unable to apply my edits.  The error code is:

{"error":{"code":400,"message":"Unable to complete  operation.","details":["Unable to apply edits"]}}

I have:

1. registered the feature class as versioned

2. permissions have been given. I am able to edit without problem in ArcMap; is there something else I need to do.

3. checked to make sure editing is enabled on the service

Any help is greatly appreciated.
James

Edits can frequently exceed the size of a GET, and may switch to a POST if the geometries are large.  Make sure you have your proxy set up if that is the case.
0 Kudos
JamesWhisenhunt
New Contributor III
Thanks for the reply; however, I don't think that is my problem.  I am just adding a point feature so the geometry is not very big. 

This proxy is the same as I have used on other servers so I think it is also configured correctly.

Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
Thanks for the reply; however, I don't think that is my problem.  I am just adding a point feature so the geometry is not very big. 

This proxy is the same as I have used on other servers so I think it is also configured correctly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

CAn you post some code?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I had this same issue where I was able to edit in ArcMap but not through the feature service. I received the same error message ("Unable to apply edits") from the response and the error in the server log file was "This is a FACILITY_ITF error that is specific to the interface that returned this error. See the documentation of the interface that returned this error for information about this HRESULT."

Our feature class was contained within a feature dataset that had other feature classes with object class extensions. Removing the feature class from the feature dataset resolved the issue even though the feature class being edited did not have a class extension.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
0 Kudos
JamesWhisenhunt
New Contributor III
Thanks guys for the help.  The webpage I am trying to create is located http://agis21.frankfort.ky.gov/mobile/franklinmobile.html which should have all the information you need. 

I am trying to edit a new feature class in a new feature dataset.  There are no class extensions installed.  I looked at the server log file and it gives me this error:

Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80070057 : The parameter is incorrect. .

Could this be a IIS configuration issue or a proxy issue? 

As always thanks for the help,
James
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
It doesn't look like you are actually using a proxy for the POST. That's probably not it but just an fyi.

I wonder if your OBJECTID_1 field name is causing some confusion. It might be looking at your other field named OBJECTID which is null. That might cause an incorrect parameter error.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
It doesn't look like you are actually using a proxy for the POST. That's probably not it but just an fyi.

I wonder if your OBJECTID_1 field name is causing some confusion. It might be looking at your other field named OBJECTID which is null. That might cause an incorrect parameter error.

Before you get too frustrating with editing, your service doesnt work at all! you cant even query it

http://agis21.frankfort.ky.gov/ArcGIS2/rest/services/WebEdits/FeatureServer/0/query?objectIds=1&wher...

returns "Unable to perform query"

right from the rest service, no web app involved.
0 Kudos
JamesWhisenhunt
New Contributor III
I had it turned off.  I was trying to get rid of the Objectid_1.  It should work now. 

Sorry about that.  I ask for help then turn off the service.
0 Kudos
MarkSmith
New Contributor III
Hello,

I don't know if any of this will help, but I had problems (and still do) with editing.
In order for my edits to work there are 2 things I must do.

1.  Ensure my layer in SDE was created by manually adding the fields, and NOT by loading in a layer from shapefile or another SDE layer.  It's crazy, and ESRI can't reproduce this behaviour, but it's true for me, I have to create a new feature class and add the fields one by one with ArcCatalog rather than importing the fields.

2.  My layers in my MXD feeding the service must connect to SDE using an SDE service and NOT with Direct Connect.

It took me ages to work these out and get my editing working, but so long as I do the above in addition to the usual stuff then I can get it to work.

Mark.
0 Kudos