Some tools don't input to Model Builder?

05-31-2011 09:11 AM
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
I'm working on a model (9.3) and have found that there are certain tools that don't import to model builder.  I wasn't sure if it was my methods or the tools themselves that weren't allowing me to drag them in. 

First, I have two geoprocesses in my model that generate event layers.  In one instance, I am required to have a tangible GIS layer (feature class, shapefile) to continue with the processes.  I would simply like to export data out to a GIS file, although the export data tool does not drag in to my model.  Why do certain tools not work in model builder?

Another tool I wanted to utilize is Join, but it doesn't appear to be accessible through Model Builder either...  I'm hoping this is something I'm performing incorrectly, or that ArcGIS 10 doesn't present the same problems.  Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
Correction:
I was able to convert the point feature layer using feature to point, although am having difficulty converting a 'memory layer' kicked out by network analysis.
0 Kudos
GavinJackson1
New Contributor II
Use the copy features tool to copy the in memory layer to a new feature class. As for the join tool, search for add join. It only accepts feature layers as input so use the make feature layer tool before the add join and then use copy features to create a new feature class with the joined fc's.
0 Kudos
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
Thanks Gavin!!!

My last obstacle before my model is complete is having the final table kick out a report.  Create report isn't compatible with Model Builder, but may there is another avenue I'm not considering.  Any thoughts? 

Mark
0 Kudos
christinawhite
New Contributor
thank you for your information
================
webdesign
0 Kudos
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
Gavin:
Copy feature doesn't appear to work on the Network Analyst layer.  Network kicks out four memory layers; Facilities, Incidents, Barriers and Routes.  I'm only interested in the routes memory layer, but am not certain how to extract this layer individually through model builder.  In ArcMap, I can simply perform an export data out to a feature class...  Hopefully some of these concerns were addressed in ArcGIS 10.
Thanks!
Mark
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
Use the Select Data tool to select the network analyst sublayer you want to copy.  The network analysis layer would be the input to Select Data.  You then specify the sublayer (stops, facilities, etc) and that sublayer will be output.  You can then operate on this output just like you would any other layer.  You can input it to Copy Features or any other tool that accepts a layer (most tools accept layers)

Select Data tool: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Select_Data/004000000009000000/
0 Kudos
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
Thank you!

Are you aware of how to kick out a report in conjunction with the map display?  I basically need to generate a report based on the final table.  Thanks again, my deadline is approaching quickly.

Best,
Mark
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
There's a entry on the model and script tool gallery that outputs an html file report from an input feature class or table.  You could use this in your model to output an html file (or excel spreadsheet).  The file won't open automatically... you'll have to go to the results window and right-click the output and select Open.
0 Kudos