Environments Settings Dialogue Box is Blank

06-17-2011 02:52 AM
RonSantini
New Contributor III
When I right-click inside a clear area of ArcToolbox and select Environments, the Environments Setting dialogue box is blank. The only items available are the buttons on the bottom to close, etc.

I am running W7, ArcInfo with SP2 installed, MSMXL 4.0 SP3.

I have done a clean uninstall and a reinstall of ArcInfo w/SP2.

I have contaced ESRI Tech Support, but no solution yet.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RonSantini
New Contributor III
cross-linked to http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/11163/blank-environments-setting-dialogue-box

Dan,  Thanks for assistance.  I followed and implemented each of the steps outlined in the threads, but unfortunately it did not resolve my problem.  I now have another problem that may be associated with this.  The tools e.g.,CLIP,  in ArcToolbox run very quickly, run without error, but do not generate an output file.

I'm still waiting for ESRI Tech Support to respond to my incident number.
0 Kudos
RonSantini
New Contributor III
cross-linked to http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/11163/blank-environments-setting-dialogue-box

Dan, Just a follow-up to my last post.  Here are the steps I performed as a reference:

Uninstall:

1. Uninstalled ArcGIS
2. Uninstalled all Python programs from the list (per ESRI)
3. Deleted ESRI keys & ArcGIS programs from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\
4. Deleted ESRI keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
5. Deleted ESRI & ArcGIS keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node (Gone after uninstall) & HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\
6. Set the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\RegistrySizeLimit to a hex of 0xffffffff
7. Rebooted
8. Deleted: ESRI Folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files
9. Deleted: ArcGIS Folder in C:\Program Files
10. Deleted: ESRI Folder in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ESRI
11. Again Rebooted
12. did an SFC\SCANNOW
13. Rebooted

Reinstall:

14. I then reinstalled ArcGIS without Service Packs
Both MSXML 4.0 SP2 with SDK & MSXML 4.0 SP3 previously Installed
15. Open ArcCatalog>ArcToolbox> Right-Clicked in open area of ArcToolbox>Environments = Blank Environments Setting dialogue box.
16. I then installed SP1 and followed Step 15 = Blank Environments Setting dialogue box again
17. I installed SP2 and followed Step 15 = Blank Environments Setting dialogue box again
18. I tried to run an ArcToolbox tool  (Clip).  The tool executed very fast and successfully (Green check mark appeared), but no output was generated.
So, I am back to square one, though I have a two pieces of new information: 1) The blank screen appeared after the initial install wo the SP's, 2) The tools run(?) but give no output.

Not sure where to go from here and I spoke with ESRI tech support rep with no resolution, but I am waiting for an ESRI follow-up reply.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
I would wait/follow-up with tech support, there must be something wrong with your settings.  Have you tried a different login?
0 Kudos
RonSantini
New Contributor III
I would wait/follow-up with tech support, there must be something wrong with your settings.  Have you tried a different login?

Dan,

I have tried a different user. When I start ArcMap, numerous Default.gdb's are created (Default(1).....Default(xxx) during he ArcMap load. I need to force terminate loading of ArcMap.
0 Kudos