ArcGIS Pro 2.5: How to create “junctions” at points of intersections of “lines” in a utility network?

04-19-2020 09:59 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.5: How to create “junctions” at points of intersections of “lines” in a utility network?

I couldn’t figure out how to create “junctions” at the points of intersections between “lines”. In ArcMap, “junctions” are created automatically as “geometric network” is created.

For example, in the screenshot below, a “edge-junction-edge” rule is added to configure the connectivity between “water_line” to be via “water_junction”. However, these junctions are not created knowing that “enable network topology” and “disabled network topology” tools are performed.

What could be the issue here?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jamal NUMAN

I think you would like to create system junctions rather than intermediate junctions, if that is my correct understanding then you need to do as -

1. validate the network topology for creating system junctions 
  2. generate a network diagram for viewing system junctions created

BUT as shown in the image (1), you would like to add a junction-edge-junction rule for the water network scenario. This won't be allowed using the systems junctions because of -

"Edge-junction-edge connectivity is used to connect two lines using an intermediate point. This type of connectivity does not support terminals or midspan connectivity."

So in your data model, you need to define a water junction feature and feature restrictions (network rules) for the business scenario you have depicted in your images.  

Hope this will help you.

Manoj Patil

JayKuber
New Contributor

Hi Manoj Patil,

I was struggling with how to see systems junctions created by the Utility Network itself, and your post helps me to figure out it easily.