User Input @ 1.2

Jump to solution
10-10-2019 06:08 AM
BrianBulla1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The new User Input seems to be working well, but the one issue I see with it, is that the to enable the "DONE" button the user has to hit the <Spacebar> key at least once.  Kind of annoying if you are just entering a one word comment.

I see the same thing happen in "multiline":"true" or "false".  Is there another property that can be set to change how this is working??

I would suggest that as soon as long as there is one character entered into the TextBox, then the "DONE" button should be enabled.

Otherwise, it's working well.  What would be great is to allow different userInput objects in the JSON code, so you could assign different ones depending on the button that is pressed....and even multiple ones on the same button press for multiple fields.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian

I had another look at this and found that the issue results from predictive text. In Android, until you tap the spacebar (or close the keyboard), the word is not entered into the input box. This because the word is being constructed and tapping the spacebar selects/confirms the word you want to enter. It is unlikely that we would disable predictive text by default, as most of our users find it valuable. With this in mind, I would say that this is an Android limitation and not something that we can fix.

Please let me know if you have any feedback on this.

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrianBulla1
Occasional Contributor

OK....an update.

This having to hit the <spacebar> issue only seems to be happening on the first feature collected when you each time you open the project.  After the first time you use the UserInput dialog, it seems to work properly.

This happens each time I open the Project in QuickCapture.  I am using an Android phone if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian

I had another look at this and found that the issue results from predictive text. In Android, until you tap the spacebar (or close the keyboard), the word is not entered into the input box. This because the word is being constructed and tapping the spacebar selects/confirms the word you want to enter. It is unlikely that we would disable predictive text by default, as most of our users find it valuable. With this in mind, I would say that this is an Android limitation and not something that we can fix.

Please let me know if you have any feedback on this.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
BrianBulla1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Johnathan,

Thanks for the update.  Yes, that is totally understandable.  I will add this to my list of Android annoyances.

Because of this, and other reasons, we will probably ditch using Android devices for use with esri software.  Another issue we are seeing is with camera access through Android.  In our environment where our IT department locks the phone down pretty tight with a "Personal" and a "Work" profile (only on Andoid, not iOS), it is not possible to access the camera when using Apps installed in your Work profile...which all the esri apps we use are.  I have a post about this, but haven't gotten any hits.  Maybe using the Work profile is not so popular??

https://community.esri.com/thread/241168-using-camera-under-work-profile-on-android 

Thanks again.  

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian - I will need to look into the work profile issue. This is not something that can just be enabled on a device, it is an enterprise setting. I'll see if I can repro.

Thanks

John

BrianBulla1
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

I just did some testing today, and using the Halloween Haunt QuickCapture app, I was able to successfully use the camera while in my Work profile.  Not quite sure why it wouldn't have worked before, but this is also the first time I have tried using the camera under QC 1.2.

Still get the same problem with the camera using Collector though under my Work profile.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing your Halloween snaps!: ArcGIS StoryMaps 

I'm not aware of any changes that would have affected this in 1.2, but glad to hear you are up and running.

0 Kudos