Cannot register folder

11-01-2018 08:17 AM
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

Using AGS 10.6

I've read a lot of GeoNet posts on this but I'm still running into issues. I'm sure it has something to do with permissions but I'm using the same domain account for ArcGIS Server Account and an administrator with full control on my publishing machine.

First, the publishing machine and the server machine are not the same machine. Publishing machine is the regular old computer where I publish services through ArcGIS Desktop. AGS is on a server I connect to remotely. I have successfully registered SDE geodatabases with database authentication with the server so I'm not sure if firewalls are a problem? 

After running lusrmgr.msc on my publishing machine, I can see my domain user in the Administrator group. 

I am trying to access folders in the 😧 drive, so I check that the administrator group has full control there. Note I have also checked that the administrator group also has full control over the exact folder I want to register; it does.

The ArcGIS Server Account has been configured with the same domain. I am logged into the server machine as this user also:

This is how I'm trying to register the folder from Desktop:

I do not have a 😧 drive on the server machine, could that be the issue? I only have a C: drive. Do I need to use a UNC path (if so, do you have an example of what it would be? I've never used one before)?

Error I get:

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The Server account/machine needs write access to the location set for the Server path. You can try a few things:

1) Create the path on the Server machine and copy the contents of the directory on your machine into the new directory. Server will be able to access the path on it's own machine now.

2) Use a UNC share. Share the directory on your machine, then update all paths within your script, (f this is a continuation of the MXD thread), to point to the share. Give the account running the Server service access to the share.

3) Copy the data to the Server during publishing time by not registering the folder. This is really only useful if the data/resources is static and won't change.

MKF62
by

For method #2, when you say "Give the account running the Server service access to the share" - that would be the ArcGIS Server Account that I have set up as a domain user, correct? So "UTK\mfoley10" ? See my reply to Jake Skinner below...I couldn't get that to work.

Alternatively, I was able to make method #1 work. I just would like to understand method #2 better for my own edification. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Molly,

Since the 😧 drive is on another machine from where ArcGIS Server is installed you need to specify a UNC path as you mentioned.  It would be something like this:

\\gis1\GIS_Testing\HabitatDbase\PrintTesting

gis1 is the name of the server.  You will want to make sure the GIS_Testing folder is shared on the other server.  If you right-click on the folder > Properties > Sharing tab it should state whether it's shared or not, and if it is, it will provide the UNC path.

MKF62
by

Hm, I tried your solution but maybe it's a user problem as it still can't connect. The HHSDC42 is my "device name" or name of the publishing machine. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I think you can use the D-drive location for the where you are publishing from as you had it in the first screen shot, but then use the unc path for the Server folder path as you have it for the Server folder path in your second screen shot.

0 Kudos
MKF62
by

Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work for me.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Right-click on the GIS_Testing folder and select the Security tab.  I saw that the UTK\mfoley10 is added to Administrators, but try adding it again outside of this group and grant full privileges.

Also, can you double-check the ArcGIS Server service is using the UTK\mfoley10 account by going to Start > Services.  It should be listed under the Log On As column:

0 Kudos
MKF62
by

Alright, on publishing machine I've added myself as a user to GIS_Testing

On server machine, I appear to be the "logged on" user:

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

When you're RDP'ed into the Server machine as your account, can you reach the share in Windows Explorer?

0 Kudos