Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot register folder

11-01-2018 08:17 AM
MKF62
by
Regular Contributor

Using AGS 10.6

I've read a lot of GeoNet posts on this but I'm still running into issues. I'm sure it has something to do with permissions but I'm using the same domain account for ArcGIS Server Account and an administrator with full control on my publishing machine.

First, the publishing machine and the server machine are not the same machine. Publishing machine is the regular old computer where I publish services through ArcGIS Desktop. AGS is on a server I connect to remotely. I have successfully registered SDE geodatabases with database authentication with the server so I'm not sure if firewalls are a problem? 

After running lusrmgr.msc on my publishing machine, I can see my domain user in the Administrator group. 

I am trying to access folders in the 😧 drive, so I check that the administrator group has full control there. Note I have also checked that the administrator group also has full control over the exact folder I want to register; it does.

The ArcGIS Server Account has been configured with the same domain. I am logged into the server machine as this user also:

This is how I'm trying to register the folder from Desktop:

I do not have a 😧 drive on the server machine, could that be the issue? I only have a C: drive. Do I need to use a UNC path (if so, do you have an example of what it would be? I've never used one before)?

Error I get:

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MKF62
by
Regular Contributor

It does not appear so. I do not see HHSDC42 in the computers listed in the Network. I could share my local files with the RDP before I log in, making the file located at \\tsclient\D\GIS_Testing\HabitatDbase\PrintTesting but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Hm, so can you ping HHSDC42 from your Server machine? Can you run the hostname command on your publishing machine and see what machine name is returned?

Can you try to share a folder on the Server machine and see if you can reach it from your publishing machine?

0 Kudos
MKF62
by
Regular Contributor

Cannot ping the hostname from the RDP ("ping HHSDC42") but I did try to ping the IP address of the publishing machine and that gave me something back. The hostname command on the publishing machine does respond with HHSDC42.

When I ping the server machine from the publishing machine by hostname, I get a lot of "Request timed out" responses.

I cannot see a folder I shared on the server machine to my publishing machine. I have checked that both computers are on the same network and that network sharing for the domain profile is switched on for both machines. I think here in lies the problem - they are both on the same network but network discovery for the domain is turned off on the server. This is strange because in Windows Explorer under the Network heading I can see other computers listed there... I have attempted to change the network sharing properties, but every time I save changes, it switches back to off for the domain profile. I'm going to ask my Network guy when he gets back in town about this and see if he can help me figure it out (I really don't know much about our network or how it's all set up, I work for a massive organization so it's maybe more complicated than a typical network setup). 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

What happens if you run nslookup <ip of publishing machine>‍‍‍ from the Server machine?

This does sound like something your IT staff is better equipped to deal with.

0 Kudos
MKF62
by
Regular Contributor

I get something like this:

Server: xxx.domain.xxx (never seen the name of this server before)

Address: IP address of the DNS server

Name: NameOfPersonInThisPositionBeforeMe.ag.domain.xxx

Address: My IP address

0 Kudos