I believe I've found a bug with the latest Android release of Collector (17.0.3). The symptoms are that a user is unable to edit attributes for a feature class when using an offline map. There is no error presented to the user within the app. The edits simply aren't stored. This is on a Feature Layer hosted on ArcGIS Online (AGOL), using an enterprise account.
I believe the minimum requirements to reproduce the bug are:
- Collector for ArcGIS 17.0.3, Android (released Oct 17, 2017)
- Feature Layer (hosted) on AGOL used in Web Map; editing and syncing enabled on layer
- Web Map using said layer with offline mode enabled
- Web Map downloaded to device for offline use
- Editing - What kind of editing is allowed?: Only update feature attributes
The last option seems to be the kicker. The map works correctly in Collector with that option set under the following circumstances:
- Map is not downloaded; used online in Collector (Android)
- Map used on iOS device
Changing the option to Add, update, and delete features results in a working offline map in Collector 17.0.3 Android.
We also happened to have a few tablets that are used infrequently and thus hadn't received the update to 17.0.3 yet. Those devices, using 17.0.2, are able to edit the attributes while the Editing option is set to Only update feature attributes.
Using the full edit capability is less than ideal for our use case. Our users are updating feature attributes for parcels. Allowing the full editing capabilities means they could change the geometry of the parcels, or, worse, inadvertently delete them. They also do not have connectivity while in the field to simply work around the issue by using the maps in online mode.
I've also tested this on both Android 7.1 and 8.0.0 with the same results.
I'm happy to provide any additional information if it helps confirm or fix this bug.