Apparent Bug: Collector 17.0.3 Android unable to edit offline feature attributes

Jump to solution
10-23-2017 03:37 PM
JosephAlberts
New Contributor III

I believe I've found a bug with the latest Android release of Collector (17.0.3). The symptoms are that a user is unable to edit attributes for a feature class when using an offline map. There is no error presented to the user within the app. The edits simply aren't stored. This is on a Feature Layer hosted on ArcGIS Online (AGOL), using an enterprise account.

I believe the minimum requirements to reproduce the bug are:

• Collector for ArcGIS 17.0.3, Android (released Oct 17, 2017)
  • Feature Layer (hosted) on AGOL used in Web Map; editing and syncing enabled on layer
  • Web Map using said layer with offline mode enabled
  • Web Map downloaded to device for offline use
  • Editing - What kind of editing is allowed?: Only update feature attributes

The last option seems to be the kicker. The map works correctly in Collector with that option set under the following circumstances:

• Map is not downloaded; used online in Collector (Android)
  • Map used on iOS device

Changing the option to Add, update, and delete features results in a working offline map in Collector 17.0.3 Android.

We also happened to have a few tablets that are used infrequently and thus hadn't received the update to 17.0.3 yet. Those devices, using 17.0.2, are able to edit the attributes while the Editing option is set to Only update feature attributes.

Using the full edit capability is less than ideal for our use case. Our users are updating feature attributes for parcels. Allowing the full editing capabilities means they could change the geometry of the parcels, or, worse, inadvertently delete them. They also do not have connectivity while in the field to simply work around the issue by using the maps in online mode.

I've also tested this on both Android 7.1 and 8.0.0 with the same results.

I'm happy to provide any additional information if it helps confirm or fix this bug.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

All-

We've just pushed an update for Collector on Android (17.0.4) to address BUG-000109056.  This also resolves the related issue (BUG-000109121) Bethany mentioned above.

This should be available in Google Play within a couple of hours.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
MarlianoPistoiese
New Contributor II

After the last update, I have the same problem: I can not edit related records using an offline map. No problem instead using iOS.

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joseph, Marliano-

Thanks for reaching out on this.  We've been able to reproduce this issue internally and are working on a resolution.  I will update this thread when more information is available.

JosephAlberts
New Contributor III

Great, thanks Doug!

0 Kudos
DebMcIlwrath
New Contributor III

We are encountering similar issues.

Able to create a new feature and related records and able to edit attributes for existing feature. 

BUT if the user tries to edit attributes in the related table of an existing record, the edits revert back to their original values as soon as the user exits the edit window.

Allows user to take a photo to attach, but never actually attaches the photo to the record.

No error messages being displayed to user.

Have tried this on several different Android devices.

0 Kudos
BethanyBerry
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Esri Tech Support here. I just wanted to inform you all that I have logged an official bug for this issue: BUG-000109056

JosephAlberts
New Contributor III

Thanks, Bethany!

0 Kudos
BethanyBerry
New Contributor III

Another update form the Esri Support side of things:

I have confirmed that the issue also affects editing the attributes of existing related records (from related tables) in offline and online use. I have logged the following bug for this: BUG-000109121

DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

All-

We've just pushed an update for Collector on Android (17.0.4) to address BUG-000109056.  This also resolves the related issue (BUG-000109121) Bethany mentioned above.

This should be available in Google Play within a couple of hours.

JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hi Doug Morgenthaler and Bethany_Berry-esristaff   thank you so much for your help in identifying the BUGs and getting a release out the door - we have some very happy customers as a result of this.

Thank you

John P

0 Kudos