Is it possible to use items on the map as "dispatch-able" points?

09-05-2016 01:59 PM
SteveRodriguez
New Contributor III

We are trying to create the following workflow. (Step 2 has to do with WorkForce)

1. Staff member "A" enters an excavation permit point using GeoForm.  This creates a point layer that is hosted on ArcGIS online that contains all requested excavation permits as they come in.  These points are created with status "New"

2. Staff member "B" opens WorkForce and can see a map of the points entered by staff member "A".  These points are displayed based on their status, "New", "Scheduled", or "Completed" using different symbology.

2a.  Staff member "B" would like to be able to select any point that has not been assigned yet and assign it

2b. Alternatively, staff member "B" could select a point and convert it to an assignment

2c. Staff member "C" from the field gets the assignment, updates the point (using Collector if necessary, but we would prefer to use one tool on an iOS device so it would be nice to select which fields can be updated by the mobile app)

3. We would use Operations Viewer to show a supervisor view of the process

is this available know or is this on the roadmap for this product?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Steve,

As long as there is a feature service/layer storing the excavation permits; this layer can be added to the Dispatcher web map so it's visible to the Dispatcher.

We have a doc topic on this Create your first project—Workforce for ArcGIS | ArcGIS "Customize the Map"

The Dispatcher (Staff Member B) can select any of the points from the feature layer and create an assignment at that location.  They are not converting the point to an assignment, but creating a new assignment at the location of the point.

What you're trying to achieve should be possible now with the current version of Workforce.

Craig

0 Kudos
SteveRodriguez
New Contributor III

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the response. I see that level of functionality, but the problem is two fold:

1. This creates a second entity that now exists independently from the point on the map. I want the single entity (the existing point) to have fields added or in some way enriched so that it will also have assignment details and tracking information added by work force.

2. The field crew have to do two actions, update the data point in one app (Collector) and then flip over to work force to update the status of the ticket (Work Force). I'd like it to be in one interface if possible. Since the item would have both the point info AND the Work Force info, it seems like it would be easy to update everything at once.

I hope this clarifies the question/request.

- sent from my IPad

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Steve,

Yes, thanks for your comments and feedback on this, I understand what your scenario. The model with Workforce is to separate these 2 concepts; which provides us with the ability to tailor an experience in Workforce for updating/reviewing Work Assignments that is independent of Collector or Survey123 and allow those apps to create and provide an experience tailored for their use cases and workflows.  It also allows us to satisfy workflows and use cases with Workforce that do not require data or survey collection.

We believe that we can provide a seamless experience between the different apps.  We have several sites who originally had the same request but implemented the recommendation I made above and are successful in this. We're also working on improving the communication and transition between the apps.

We have gotten the request to allow the editing of some user defined fields on the Assignments feature service and I'll make sure to add your feedback and comments to the issue.  For the time being, my original recommendation on how to handle the use case is the best course of action.

Craig

0 Kudos