Populate Grid - flip rows and columns

Jump to solution
10-19-2015 02:26 PM
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I have two years' worth of county based demographic statistics.

I have the same information for each year.  For example:  totalPopulation, PopulationOver18, Population17_44, Population45_64 etc

On a map click event for the  county layer, I've been asked to display it with years for the columns and rows for the population breakouts,  This format is my question. 

I typically use dGrid.  It seems like I can manipulate the data prior to populating it, but I can't quite wrap my brain around how to go about this.

Example:

COUNTY NAME

Statistic
Year 1
Year2
Total Population123145
Population Over 185666

I don't know if this is a true pivot table, or if this is just a 'turning data on it's head' sort of format.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

Got it!  I switched to grid.renderArray, as opposed to Memory.  It should work for my purposes. 

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <html> 
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7, IE=9, IE=10">
    <meta name="viewport" content="initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1,user-scalable=no"/>
    <title>Populate Grid from My Arrays</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://js.arcgis.com/3.13/dijit/themes/claro/claro.css"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://js.arcgis.com/3.13/esri/css/esri.css"/>

<script type="text/javascript">
var dojoConfig = {
  parseOnLoad: false,
  async:true
};
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://js.arcgis.com/3.13compact/"></script>
</head>
<body class="claro">
      <script type="text/javascript">
        require([
        "dojo/on",
        "dojo/parser",
        "dojo/_base/array",
        "dgrid/Grid",
        "dojo/domReady!"
  ], function(
  on, parser,arrayUtils, Grid ) { 
        var cols = {fieldName: "Field",val2015:"2015",val2030:"2030"}
        var fields=["Total","Age17_44","Age45_64","Age65_84", "Age85plus"]
        var valCurrent= [1000, 200, 300, 450,350];
        var valEst = [500, 100,200,150, 50]
        var outputArr = [];
          for (index = 0; index < valCurrent.length; index++) {
            var rowObj = {
              fieldName:fields[index],
              val2015:valCurrent[index],
              val2030:valEst[index]
            };
            outputArr.push(rowObj)
          }; 
      var grid = new Grid({
        columns:cols
        }, "outputGrid");       
        grid.renderArray(outputArr);
        grid.startup();
});
     </script>
        <div id="outputGrid">     
      </div>
    </body>
</html>

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Tracy,

I think I understand what you are asking.

You want a way to show in the table the population that is under 18 over 18 but below 50 and so on?

If so what does your data look like?

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

Not really, no.  This is the kind of data I have and typically you would show you data like this:

FieldValue
CountyCooper
TotalPopulation2015123
TotalPopulation2030145
2015_PopulationUnderAge1718
2030_PopulationUnderAge1715
2015__PopulationAge17_44235
2030_PopulationAge_17_44190

The question is how I can change this format to something more like I showed in my original post. 

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you opposed to making a new layer?

If not do something like this:

If you are I am not sure how to manipulate the data in Javascript.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Obviously you have 2 columns for the years but how many rows are we talking? You might as well create an HTML table & use SPAN tags w/ IDs to just populate the table using element.innerHTML() once you have a map click event. & access to the data values A pain in the butt to initially code but it would work.

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

The client isn't quite certain about the final rows, but I'd say around a dozen, tops.  I thought about making a plain table, especially since the output format is nothing like how the data will be stored in a table.  Makes it tough to have meaningful events associated with it.

I've used row Renderers before.  I wonder if I could take advantage of that to build a table.  Generally I'm making something that looks like a paragraph with divs, but I guess there's no reason why it couldn't be a table instead as long as I had the HTML format right. 

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

HTML Table template:

<table border="1"  cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3">
  <tr>
  <td>County:</td>
  <td>2015</td>
  <td>2030</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  <td>Total Population:</td>
  <td><span id="lblPop2015"></span></td>
  <td><span id="lblPop2030"></span></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  <td>Population Under 17:</td>
  <td><span id="lblPopUnder17_2015"></span></td>
  <td><span id="lblPopUnder17_2030"</span></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  <td>Population 17-44:</td>
  <td><span id="lblPop17_44_2015"></span></td>
  <td><span id="lblPop17_44_2030"></span></td>
  </tr>
</table>

JS:

countyLayer.on("click", function(evt) {
    fullAttrib = evt.attributes;

document.getElementById("lblPop2015").innerHTML = fullAttrib.TotalPopulation2015;
    document.getElementById("lblPop2030").innerHTML = fullAttrib.TotalPopulation2030;
    document.getElementById("lblPopUnder17_2015").innerHTML = fullAttrib.2015_PopulationUnderAge17;
    document.getElementById("lblPopUnder17_2030").innerHTML = fullAttrib.2030_PopulationUnderAge17;
    //etc etc etc
});
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH. I *HATE* this stinking forum software.

My HTML got eaten up. Here's a screenshot of what it SHOULD have looked like:

tableExt.jpg

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

It seems like there's been issues with the forum the past couple of days.  Yesterday I wasn't able to reply to any thread until the end of the day and this AM it was just down.

I'm going to give that a try, along with my renderRow idea.   It seems like I might be able to stuff some of this into an array of fields names and step through it that way.  It would save hard coding all those fields.  If I have to do it that way, it would be manageable, but tedious.    I haven't tried to manipulate the output of the QueryTask with SQL, but then I've never needed to before. 

Right now, this is largely a theoretical question.  I don't have the services started up yet to code against while we finalize the specs for this project.  I'll have to remember to come back later and update this post.  I just hate to tell a customer that something is possible, when I've never done it before. 

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

My only other random thought was if you could use a SQL query to craft the response from your queryTask in the format you want. I know ESRI typically says "any standard SQL query" works but we all know that's not true..

0 Kudos