Joining table to spatial

06-02-2022 12:27 PM
CarolOgborne
New Contributor II

I have a spatial file (one polygon) and a table of information (11 rows of data)  that I am trying to do a one to many join. I have an ID in my spatial file and I have that same ID in my table that I want to join to the spatial. I want just one polygon with many records. I keep getting in this case 11 polygons instead of 1 polygon with multiple records like one would get with temporal data. I have tried the JOIN FEATURES, JOIN and MAKE QUERY and none of these are working. Any ideas on what I need to do to get my spreadsheet attached to my spatial

My spatial file has an attribute called LG-ADMIN_ID which the ID is 1 and in my spreadsheet I have the same attribute. DO I need to convert the spreadsheet into a table in my FGD first before doing any process?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JerryBartz
Occasional Contributor

Hi Carol.

One possible problem is the the attribute name. There are 2 general rules:

Eliminate any characters that are not alphanumeric or an underscore.

Do not start a field or table name with an underscore or a number.

For joins of a Feature class with table.

Both the feature class (the file with spatial data) and the table must be in geodatabase.

Hope this helps.

CarolOgborne
New Contributor II

I changed the attribute to just ID and I have brought the table into my FGD. I still get 11 polygons instead of the desired one to many join that I am trying to create one polygon with multiple attributes  for that polygon.  What I have is the provincial boundary and I want to be able to display all of the links to available digital information for natural hazards such as landslides and avalanches to name a few

0 Kudos
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

Can you show your working?  

The Add Join tool can do a 1:M join under certain conditions, but you would not get multiple polygons until you did an export.

Have you considered setting up a relationship class?  This allows one polygon in a feature class to relate to many rows in a table.

JerryBartz
Occasional Contributor

Good thought.

I was going to suggest having 2 layers. One for the polygon. I'd convert the table into a feature class with the attributes. I would symbolize the attribute using unique symbolization.

0 Kudos
CarolOgborne
New Contributor II

I have been using the Join Features tool in Arc GIS Pro. I will try using the Add Join tool to see if this changes the results.

If that does not work I will try the relationship class

0 Kudos