Using UpdateCursor to add content of pandas DataFrame to feature class attribute table

Jump to solution
11-27-2018 10:39 AM
PaulMcCord2
New Contributor III

I'm creating a script tool where the user is able to map the trade of commodities from an exporting country to a set of importing countries. In the script, a Feature Class is created representing the latitude and longitude of the captial of the exporting country and the latitude and longitude of the capitals of the importing countries. A line is then drawn between these sets of points to indicate the flow of the commodity.

The commodity data used in the script tool were downloaded as a csv file and then converted to a pandas DataFrame. The individual using the tool is able to specify parameters to subset the pandas DataFrame. For example, a user could specify that they're interested in the trade of Coffee from Burundi for the years 2010 and 2011. The tool will then display the flow of coffee to Burundi's trade partners for the years 2010 and 2011. In subsetting the DataFrame, the only information left in the DataFrame is that which is needed to map the flows between trade partners.

Unfortunately, I'm running into trouble when I attempt to add the content of the pandas DataFrame to the Feature Class. When the Feature Class is created it simply represents the connections between exporting and importing countries (the attribute table of the Feature Class at this stage is shown in the attached image CommodityFlows1). I then add columns for the data that I intend to bring in from the pandas DataFrame (the attribute table after these columns are added are shown in CommodityFlows2). I then attempt to use UpdateCursor to add the information from the pandas DataFrame to the Feature Class' attribute table. However, when I do this, I receive the error: "An error occurred: 0".

I've isolated the problem to this part of my code:

#add year, value, commodity name, origin, and destination information
j = 0
with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(fc, ("Year", "Value", "Commodity", "Origin", "Dest")) as cursor:
     for ROW in cursor:
          ROW[0] = df_trade["year"][j]
          ROW[1] = df_trade["export_val"][j]
          ROW[2] = df_trade["comm_name"][j]
          ROW[3] = df_trade["country_origin"][j]
          ROW[4] = df_trade["country_dest"][j]
          cursor.updateRow(ROW)
          j += 1

What I'm doing in the above snippet is updating the attribute table shown in CommodityFlows2 using UpdateCursor. I'm going line-by-line in the Feature Class and adding the value from the pandas DataFrame (df_trade) and adding the value for each row for the particular variable of interest. I'm iterating row-by-row in the pandas DataFrame using j += 1.

What is confusing to me is that my entire script runs just fine if I use IDLE (in other words, my Feature Class is created, the flows of commodities are drawn, and the information in the pandas DataFrame is added to the Feature Class). Am I somehow using the UpdateCursor incorrectly in the ArcGIS environment? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

NumPyArrayToTable or NumPyArrayToFeatureclass

NumPyArrayToTable—Data Access module | ArcGIS Desktop 

NumPyArrayToFeatureClass—Data Access module | ArcGIS Desktop 

Just convert your dataframe to a numpy structured array (akin to a numpy recarray )

There is also 

ExtendTable—Data Access module | ArcGIS Desktop 

if you need to do attribute joins of a table to an existing table or featureclass

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

NumPyArrayToTable or NumPyArrayToFeatureclass

NumPyArrayToTable—Data Access module | ArcGIS Desktop 

NumPyArrayToFeatureClass—Data Access module | ArcGIS Desktop 

Just convert your dataframe to a numpy structured array (akin to a numpy recarray )

There is also 

ExtendTable—Data Access module | ArcGIS Desktop 

if you need to do attribute joins of a table to an existing table or featureclass

PaulMcCord2
New Contributor III

Thank you Dan. As you suggested, I converted my pandas DataFrame to a NumPy Array and then used the NumPyArrayToTable module to create a dBASE Table. I found this resource to be helpful in making the conversion:

pandas.DataFrame to ArcGIS Table - Community for Data Integration - myUSGS Confluence 

Once the dBASE Table was created, I was able to add the dBASE content to my Feature Class. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Curtis Price‌, someone using your myUSGS Confluence content.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Now if I could only get Curtis Price‌ to skip the Pandas part and just stick with numpy

0 Kudos
ToddMcNeil
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

My dates that are objects in the dataframe are being stored as text in my gdb table.  Also, my population values are stored as float.

I'm using the NumPyArrayToTable.  How am I able to have the date values stored as date data type and the population as an integer when populating a gdb table?

<source>

import numpy as np
import arcpy

x = np.array(np.rec.fromrecords(df_merged.values))
names = df_merged.dtypes.index.tolist()
x.dtype.names = tuple(names)
if not arcpy.Exists('C:/Coronavirus/covid19.gdb/nyt_covid19'):
   arcpy.da.NumPyArrayToTable(x, 'C:/Coronavirus/covid19.gdb/nyt_covid19')
else:
   arcpy.Delete_management('C:/Coronavirus/covid19.gdb/nyt_covid19')
   arcpy.da.NumPyArrayToTable(x, 'C:/Coronavirus/covid19.gdb/nyt_covid19')

</source>

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The form and function of the Update Cursor don't change between environments.  You say it runs in IDLE but not in "ArcGIS."  Can you elaborate on how you are running it from within ArcGIS?  Is this a script tool or are you trying to run it from the interactive Python window in ArcMap or Pro?

0 Kudos
PaulMcCord2
New Contributor III

I should have been more clear. By "ArcGIS", I meant a script tool that I was running from ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
ImtiazSyed
New Contributor III

Hi Paul McCord‌,

I ran into similar issue when I was trying to add a list of records from a pandas dataframe to a feature class using arcpy. Since I was attempting to add features, I ended up using the InsertCursor class instead of UpdateCursor. I would assume you'd wanna use the UpdateCursor when updating existing features. Either way, below is the code snippet that ended up working for me without having to use the NumpyArrayToTable class.

import arcgis
import pandas as pd
import arcpy
from arcpy import env
import os

#Import the csv to pandas dataframe
pd.set_option('display.max_columns', None)  
df = pd.read_csv(r'<File_Name>.csv', dtype=str, sep='|', encoding = "ISO-8859-1")
df.head(20)

#DataFrame consisting of 3 columns and 100 rows each
inputs = df.loc[0:100,['column1','column2', 'column3']].values.tolist()

fields = ['field1','field2','field3']

env.overwriteOutput = True

env.workspace = r"X:\<sde location>"
fcname = "Feature Class"
fc = os.path.join(env.workspace,fcname)

cursor = arcpy.da.InsertCursor(fc,fields)
for row in inputs:
    cursor.insertRow(row)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Notice how I have used values.tolist() method. This method is supposed convert the DataFrame to list of tuples that can then be iterated by row while inserting the features into the feature class in database.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Imtiaz

0 Kudos