Reset my Python 3 Installation

Jump to solution
01-21-2019 03:46 PM
deleted-user-_rvxRMwJz6fx
New Contributor II

I am having an issue with ArcGIS Pro and Python - both applications fail to consistently initialise / operate as intended when they do start up.

I have recently been trying to get Python 3 to work in my preferred IDE (PyScripter). After searching through many different Google results I managed to completely decimate my Python installation. I can use ArcMap 10.6 and Python 2.7 applications perfectly. PyScripter still works and I can create Tools as needed, however, whenever there is something requiring Python 3, the application will not work.

ArcGIS Pro - I have installed Pro 2.4 on my machine. The system will load, however when I try to add data or run any tool at all the application will close with no warning error / notification. It is a straight crash. Again, I have completely uninstalled and re-installed it and even tried a repair. Same result each time.

Is there a way to restore my Python installations as intended for use with ArcGIS Pro?

I am running Windows 10 64-bit.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor II

I will try this. 

Thank you.

You mentioned 2.3 coming out this week, perhaps I will wait for this and then give it a try. I think it is going to be a full morning worth of work...not something I am really looking forward to...

Lesson learnt.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When ArcGIS Pro 2.3 comes out this week, you will need to 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/28/clone 

I have switched over to 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/13/spyder 

But if you have to use your preference, you will have to point the IDE to the python installation in the clone

New Contributor II

Thank you for the response Dan.

I have been following your blog posts with regards to using ArcGIS Pro and Python 3. I unfortunately found the blog post too late, and have managed to mess the system up, through ignorance on my part.

The main issue I am having is my ArcPro will not work at all.

It opens, but I cannot use it - adding data, using tools etc causes the application to close with no indication as to why. 

I suspect its an issue with Python, primarily because I cannot use QGIS anymore either (it bombs when loading Python during start-up). I am sure when I was playing with the settings during my attempts to get Python 3 into my IDE I managed to break something.

I am looking to try and get back to a "Vanilla State" without have to do a complete system restore.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

vanilla state would be to uninstall everything, including qgis because it messes with python as well.

I would install pro first, clone it, set up python to work and pro to work.  Install ArcMap second since it sets up python within its own path (if memory serves).

install whatever else after you get *map and *pro working.

Good luck 

New Contributor II

I will try this. 

Thank you.

You mentioned 2.3 coming out this week, perhaps I will wait for this and then give it a try. I think it is going to be a full morning worth of work...not something I am really looking forward to...

Lesson learnt.

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Once you get your environment back up and running... What problems were you having getting PyScripter working with Pro Python 3? 

I haven't used PyScripter for years, but I downloaded the 64bit version of PyScripter (v. 3.6), ran it and added the arcgispro-py3 python interpreter and could import arcpy fine. 

Note you must have both the 32bit and 64bit versions of PyScripter to work with Desktop (32bit) and ArcGIS Pro  (64bit).  You can also use the 64bit version with Desktop if you have the 64bit background geoprocessing python installed.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

I was unable to "import arcpy" and I think it had to do with the 32-bit vs. 64-bit versions.

I know that now...but didnt know that when I was mucking about with the Python Installations and Environmental Settings.

I plan to try a full un-install and update on Friday and see how that pans out.

Thank you!

0 Kudos