ImportError: No module named arcpy - Error has occurred since 10.6 update

03-21-2018 08:58 AM
AimeeKeener
New Contributor

When I was in version 10.5, I used python IDE quite successfully using Spyder (I did not use Jupyter Notebook). After I updated recently to 10.6, I seem to be getting this error. I checked and the Desktop10.6.pth file is in the C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.6\Lib\site-packages  folder, and it contains the lines:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.6\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.6\ArcPy
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.6\ArcToolBox\Scripts

I tried working out of Jupyter Notebook, but received the same error. It seem that these IDEs can not find the path. I have tried repairing the installation, to no effect.

I have a ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 Basic License. 

I am unsure how to proceed.

Edit: I should also mentioned that I ran:

import sys

print sys.path

And it reads 

'C:\\Python27\\ArcGIS10.6\\Lib\\site-packages',
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you install spyder to work with 10.5 or are you using the one for Pro which is in an anaconda distribution?

You may have to reinstall spyder if it isn't in your ...lib\sitepackages folder

0 Kudos
AimeeKeener
New Contributor

I'm don't use Pro. I did not set 10.5 up myself, a former coworker did. I'm not sure the steps he took to set it up and I have been unable to find such instructions on the internet. Do I need to place a certain file to match with Jupyter Notebook or Spyder within the site-packages folder? If so, do you know which ones I am looking for?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what is in your sitepackages folder?  is Jupyter and Spyder there?  If not, search on those terms on your C drive to see if they were installed elsewhere

0 Kudos
AimeeKeener
New Contributor

They are both installed under Anaconda:

C:\Users\aimee.keener\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda2\pkgs

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hence my question.  The Anaconda distribution knows nothing about 10.6 I suspect since that package is old and perhaps there are remnant links in there (perhaps even to PRO).  You can try to find a spyder launcher and see if you can fire it up from there.  I can't help since I have moved on to PRO and the spyder and Jupyter setup it much easier there (I have a few blog posts on it, when you are ready to make the move)

0 Kudos