How do I set the IDE for Python in ArcGIS Pro?

05-02-2018 05:23 AM
HannesZiegler2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I'm having difficulty setting the IDE used opened by ArcGIS pro when I right-click a script and select Edit. I have tried to enter the filepath to pyscripter.exe in under geoprocessing options, but even so only the standard text editor opens. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!

35 Replies
muqdadAl_hamami
New Contributor II

Would you please help me, I have the same trouble when the edit is not active. I tried the above comments but though I attach the same files like IDLE.py but still not active.  do you have any idea that you could help me with?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

muqdad Al hamami‌ - this is a two year old thread regarding issues in earlier versons.  Perhaps you could start a new thread, fully describing the problem you are having.

That should just about do it....
HannesZiegler3
New Contributor II

Joe, yes, I can now get PyScripter to open when I click Edit script. It may be the recent update for ArcPro, or it may be that a few weeks ago I installed both Pyscripter 2.7 and Pyscripter 3.6 - although I did not touch the pathing since my last attempt, the version of Pyscripter was set to 2.7 when I first opened it through editing an ArcPro script.

0 Kudos
RobertHolliday
New Contributor III

I like PyScripter and I have the need for both x32  and x64 Python. So far this is working.

Starting from a fresh install (I have had bad luck with updates) I solved this problem by first installing and Configuring Arcis Pro 2.2.x.  I then installed and configured PyScripter 3.4.1 x64 to use the Anaconda Virtual environment IE PyScripter x64 launches using the Python Install in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3.

Then I installed ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.  Finally I installed PyScripter 3.4.1 x32 which detected Python 27 which was installed with ArcGIS Desktop.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Shaun Walbridge‌  - what is exactly is going to be resolved in 2.3?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos