Select to view content in your preferred language

Conversion from CSV to DBF altering data...

Jump to solution
02-04-2016 01:19 PM
DannyLackey
New Contributor II

So, I successfully converted my .csv to a .dbf with this script:

env.workspace = r"c:\Output"

inTable = r"c:\Output\test.csv"
outLocation = r"c:\Output"
outTable = "test.dbf"

arcpy.TableToTable_conversion(inTable, outLocation, outTable)

The problem is, in the resulting .dbf file, its adding a decimal with trailing zeroes to the value:

becomes

How can I avoid this?

30 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Did you mean to format date with three Ms?

0 Kudos
DannyLackey
New Contributor II

I just grabbed that directly from the example.  I thought about just removing it altogether and let it carry over the date as is, but figured I'd leave it in just in case. 

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

It should work - according to the documentation "All Microsoft Jet formats except A.M. and P.M. are supported."

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Also, did you rename your columns to A,B,C,D, etc?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

your column names are A,B, etc?

another visual

Using the Schema.ini File to Import a CSV File into ArcGIS | GISNuts.com

and make sure there no blank rows...especially at the end of the file

DannyLackey
New Contributor II

Well no, that's something else I grabbed from the example.  It said you should copy that as is....  ay ay ay.  Ok, so A, B, C etc, represents the actual column names...  ?  I'll try that and report back.

0 Kudos
DannyLackey
New Contributor II

Changed to:

[test.csv]

ColNameHeader=True

DateTimeFormat=dd-MMM-yyyy

Format=CSVDelimited

Col1=X Long

Col2=Y Long

Col3=START_DTTM DateTime

Col4=END_DTTM DateTime

Col5=Value Double

Still failed...

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Regarding number 3, if, for some reason, you do skip to reading the CSV before creating the entries in an existing schema.ini file, it's really ok - ArcGIS should just append the file with some basic attributes - you can just edit with a text editor and adjust the structure as needed. You can have multiple entries in schema.ini for multiple files (in the same directory).

Also, if a schema.ini file doesn't exist, it's kinda handy that ArcGIS will create one upon first read. Good if you're being a lazy coder, lol. You can then make the edits directly in the schema.ini file and refresh in ArcCatalog/re-run your process.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Adding an ASCII or text file table—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

from the Overriding how text files are formatted section

ArcGIS uses its own implementation for accessing delimited text file information and should handle the most common cases for displaying these files in ArcGIS. As opposed to previous releases, schema.ini files, which are used by the Microsoft ODBC Text Driver for storing data description information, are not required for displaying delimited text file information in ArcGIS. However, if a schema.ini is present, ArcGIS will honor the settings specified in a schema.ini file to determine how the text file should be displayed.

It needs to be present where the text file will be/is according to this

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you post an example of your data? This has got to be a simple fix.

0 Kudos