Select to view content in your preferred language

Can Spyder and Jupyter Notebooks coexist in Arc Pro 3.0?

Jump to solution
11-07-2022 12:40 PM
ChrisRingo
Occasional Contributor

It would be nice to have both Spyder and Jupyter Notebooks both working in Arc Pro 3.0.  Thanks to suggestions from @DanPatterson , @DuncanHornby  and others, I can get Spyder working fine. 

But as soon as I install Spyder, either through the Arc Package Manager, or in a command window using conda or pip, Jupyter Notebooks no longer functions. When opening a Notebook, I either get an error window saying "Failed to load notebook" (both when creating a new notebook, or opening an exiting one), or the code opens with a kernel error (AttributeError: 'IOLoopKernelManager' object has no attribute 'kernel_cmd'), depending on how I installed Spyder.

Has anyone figured out the special sauce to get them both working at the same time? For now, I have Spyder installed in a cloned environment, and can go back to the default environment if I want to use a notebook.

I've tried this in both 3.0.0 and 3.0.2, with the same results. I've uninstalled/reinstalled Pro a couple times and deleted the entire conda folder when reinstalling.  OS is Windows 10 Enterprise.

Those of you that have installed Spyder, do you also use Jupyter Notebooks, and do they both work in the same environment?

Thanks for any feedback.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It isn't going to happen until old map widgets are updated

[question] jupyter-client pinned version · Issue #1354 · Esri/arcgis-python-api (github.com)

and there is no timetable.

I have spyder running.  I tried two methods of install and I ended up 'pip' installing since it clobbered what it needed and spyder works perfectly.  Pro works fine as well, but I don't use Notebooks in Pro, I use Jupyter Lab outside of Pro when I need a notebook.  I have no need for a map inside of a notebook since I use Pro for mapping.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
graeme_hill
New Contributor III

I appear to have both working fine, from memory I think I installed Spyder using an ArcGIS Pro clone environment/package manager and installed Spyder 5.1.5 and Spyder kernels 2.1.3. Which version of Spyder are you installing? maybe the latest Spyder version/update is breaking a version dependency somewhere. Arcgis Pro 3.0.2 here, windows 10. With each release of ArcGIS Pro it seems to take a day to get them working together and each time requires a different install method 😞 

Cheers, Graeme
0 Kudos
ChrisRingo
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response. In the clone in which I installed spyder using just the package manager, I installed 5.1.5, and with that version, Arc installed spyder-kernels 2.1.3.  In that case, code completion doesn't work in spyder, and Notebooks breaks. Using the fix suggested here, the code completion problem is fixed, but not the notebooks problem: https://community.esri.com/t5/python-questions/code-completion-not-working-in-spyder-5-1-5-after/m-p...

Agreed, every new Arc version generates new python problems 😞

0 Kudos
graeme_hill
New Contributor III

Oh I hadn't noticed code completion isn't working. 

Cheers, Graeme
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It isn't going to happen until old map widgets are updated

[question] jupyter-client pinned version · Issue #1354 · Esri/arcgis-python-api (github.com)

and there is no timetable.

I have spyder running.  I tried two methods of install and I ended up 'pip' installing since it clobbered what it needed and spyder works perfectly.  Pro works fine as well, but I don't use Notebooks in Pro, I use Jupyter Lab outside of Pro when I need a notebook.  I have no need for a map inside of a notebook since I use Pro for mapping.

... sort of retired...
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For those that noticed 5.4 is out and working fine.  If you have 5.3.3 installed, then use the --upgrade option, otherwise drop it.

spyder54.png

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos