Calculate field expression for string concatenation - Python 3.5

Jump to solution
07-11-2017 10:15 AM
TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

After updating a script from Python 2 to Python 3, I am now getting an 'ERROR 00539: Indentation Error: Unexpected indent <<expression>, line 1' on a line in my script. The line is not indented, and I tried removing all spaces and also re-adding spaces (ensuring no tabs were used). I am not sure where the error is. The line ran without error using Python 2.

This is the original line:

arcpy.CalculateField_management (SubLayer_pp_trans_GUJoin_UniqueSubs, "SUB1SUB2", ' [SUB_1] + "," + [SUB_2] ')

I've tried: 

arcpy.CalculateField_management(SubLayer_pp_trans_GUJoin_UniqueSubs,"SUB1SUB2",' !SUB_1! +","+ !SUB_2! ')

and (and various renditions of removing spaces)

arcpy.CalculateField_management(SubLayer_pp_trans_GUJoin_UniqueSubs,"SUB1SUB2",' [SUB_1] + "," + [SUB_2] ')‍‍

with no luck. Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you add  "PYTHON_9.3" in order to use python... as in

arcpy.CalculateField_management(inTable, fieldName, expression, "PYTHON_9.3") 

and I think the indentation may be the first space in your expression.  In python ! marks replace [ and ] as field delimiters  From the help topic for map and for Pro

View solution in original post

10 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you switch from ArcMap to Pro then?

I see that you are not passing an expression type, which means you are evaluating VB and not Python.  Are you trying to work with VB or Python expressions?

The ArcGIS Pro Calculate Field—Data Management toolbox  documentation has a note of caution about VB expressions:

Caution:

Field calculations with a VB Expression type are not supported on 64-bit products, including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS DesktopBackground Geoprocessing (64-bit)—and ArcGIS Server. To successfully use Calculate Field in these products, expressions should be converted to Python, or in the case of Background Geoprocessing (64-bit), background processing can alternatively be disabled.

0 Kudos
TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

I did switch from ArcMap to Pro. It sounds like Python expressions would be best. Makes sense. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you add  "PYTHON_9.3" in order to use python... as in

arcpy.CalculateField_management(inTable, fieldName, expression, "PYTHON_9.3") 

and I think the indentation may be the first space in your expression.  In python ! marks replace [ and ] as field delimiters  From the help topic for map and for Pro

TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

This seemed to do the trick. Thanks! 

arcpy.CalculateField_management(SubLayer_pp_trans_GUJoin_UniqueSubs, "SUB1SUB2",'!SUB_1! + "," + !SUB_2!', "PYTHON_9.3")
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

gardta‌you should mark Dan's answer as correct. It shows others a solution was found and acknowledges Dan's help.

0 Kudos
TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

Agreed. For some reason, I do not have the 'Mark as Correct' option. I am viewing the discussion in All Places > Developers > GIS Developers > Python > Discussions in Chrome. I have also tried accessing it from both the email notification link and from my profile. I am logged in. I also referred to this document, and the button is not showing up on my discussion screen as shown.

...I don't remember the button not showing up for past discussions and have used it frequently in the past. Maybe I'm missing something. I apologize for any inconveniences. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tess... that is because this isn't a 'question' but a 'discussion'..  only 'questions' have the 'correct answer' option.  Discussions don't.  Glad I could help in any event

0 Kudos
TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

Makes sense.  I'll keep that in mind and will be sure to pay a bit more attention to where I am posting. Thanks again, and sorry about that!

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

So should I! I had not noticed this was a "discussion" instead of a "question". I think we can forgive each other as there appears to be almost no difference except for a small icon under your title.

0 Kudos