Generic Collector for ArcGIS Guide

04-20-2016 08:50 PM
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor
2 7 3,246

I have found that while Collector is generally quite user friendly and easy to use, there are still some users that struggle with some aspects of the data collection process. I have written a quick generic guide that outlines the data collection process from opening the app and collecting some data, to syncing. I have included lots of screenshots to illustrate each step. I am hoping that this will reduce user frustration, and also reduce my time spent training users, and processing data collection errors.

Currently I have only included instruction on collecting point data. Some things that I plan to add in the future are:

• Instruction on collecting line and polygon data. Although I do not have many users collecting this sort of data yet, so it is not a priority at this stage.
  • Some detail on adjusting the required GPS accuracy.
  • Some detail on turning layers on and off.

Feel free to download it and use it. You may want to edit it and use it as a base for your own guide. I have attached .docx and .pdf files. If you do use it I would be interested to hear about it.

7 Comments
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey James Preston,

Thanks for sharing these documents, they look like they can be very useful in training people to get started with Collector for ArcGIS. I see that your workflow makes use of offline data, but doesn't go into the same detail about downloading the data as you've used to discuss collection workflows. Do your users work in offline environments frequently, or are do they have the ability to work online as well?

That's not to take away from the document you've developed, it's very clear and thorough. Keep up the good work!

JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Hi Scott - yes, most of our work is done offline. The 3G network in our city is inconsistent, and for the most part I download the projects to the device. So the user just gets handed the device without really needing to know the distinction between online or offline data collection. But I suspect that as I deploy more projects, particularly to some of our offsite staff, that I will need to address this. The document is a work in progress, and I will be sure to post any updates.

KimSundeen__MP_
New Contributor II

This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing this document. I was just going to spend ~2-3 hours making a custom user guide...but this is wonderfully simple for the user and applies to our projects. Cheers!

JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

That is great, Kim! I am pleased that you are finding it useful 

KimSundeen__MP_
New Contributor II

James,

Following your lead, I've added links to my modified user guide built from your's here: Word File (*.docx); PDF. With this guide, we had about ~200 records that didn't have points, but we wanted the field worker to identify the record (assigned a "dummy point" in Lake Superior). Then when they found the problem street light in the field, they could update that record's GPS point from the lake dummy point to a real location. I'm hoping it made sense; and I'd love any suggestions for improvements!

Feel free to download these documents and use them as you need to.

Thanks again.

JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

This is great! Thanks for sharing. 

NadiaTargulian
New Contributor II

Thanks, James! What a great and concise guide! I am going to use some captions from it with my own screenshots, if you don't mind and add my sections on line and polygon collections.

Thank you so much for doing this!

Nadia