Bus route map schematic diagram doesn't look right

04-30-2013 10:12 PM
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

I'd like to create bus route maps by Schematic tool. I'm following the instruction of tutorial and blog to make mock up. My steps are below:

1. digitized 2 dummy bus routes. They have a middle bit overlap (same geometry)

2. created points at join segments

3. created schematic dataset, with layout template as Geo-Partial Overlapping Links, offset 50.00m

4. generated new schematic diagram with selection

5. result returned very weird as the points is on top right and lines became points and located bottome left corner. Please see the map attached.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23893[/ATTACH]

Any idea what I've missed.

Many thanks in advance.
Thao
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the update on your post.

Hi Rick, I'm trying with your suggestion that using network dataset. Is it possible to create multiple bus route in one solve? How do I do it?

Thanks in advance.

Thao

0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III

Yes Thao, when you create your stops, you need to set a property of the stop with a specific Route name.  Then when the solver runs, it knows to treat those stops with individual routes.

ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Thank you Rick. I got it generate like the way I want. However, I receive error when generate schematic diagram. It's saying 'Error during schematic diagram generation. Unable to create schematic feature class. The name of the Field is invalid: valid names may contain letters, numbers or underscores.' Please see the attached files for detail the problem. Would this be solve easily?

0 Kudos
RickAnderson

The error is on the internal schematic tables it looks like.  If you create a brand new fgdb with a schematic dataset and 1 diagram template configured for the network dataset builder and then try this again, is it OK?  Make sure the builder is network dataset.  Here is a link to the tutorial showing this.

ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Hi Rick,

I've just tried again. Created a new FGDB, new schematic data set, new template, with Network Dataset Builder. But had same error. Not sure because of the version 10.2. As I was successful generated similar schematic diagram with version10.0 (see this threat How can I make schematic diagram has the same symbol with Routes from Network Dataset )

0 Kudos
RickAnderson

Hmmm, not sure.  Always recommended to be on the latest and greatest, which is 10.3.1, but even within a specific major release (10.2), you should try to be on the latest minor release (10.2.1).  Not saying that solves the issue though.  Did you add those filed names to your network dataset, or is that just how they were named out of the box?  Those are definitely not very good naming as it would cause issues in many different database formats.

0 Kudos
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Those names were generated automatic by network analysis. I don't think anyone can change those field names as those are temporary data in map document. Not sure how to solve this problem. Frustrated!

0 Kudos
RickAnderson

Let me see if I can find a 10.2 / 10.2.1 machine and try to reproduce it.  Are you just using a file gdb?

0 Kudos
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Yes. Thanks Rick

0 Kudos
RickAnderson

I had a chat with one of the network analyst gurus and showed them the error and table pictures you included.  Below are the comments:

The user has a network cost attribute with spaces in the name.  Since we use this name to create additional fields on some of the analysis classes (like stops), users can run into problems where the system thinks there are invalid field names since typically field names can’t include spaces.

We did some work in 10.3 (or 10.3.1) to handle invalid field names a little better.  But really, it’s best to tell the user to not have network cost attributes with spaces in the names.

So, it seems that there was some configuration done for this network cost attribute that is causing this downstream issue on the diagram side and the diagram side is trying to actually create table fields to keep this data and it is failing because of the spaces.

0 Kudos