Road Closures (ArcGIS Solutions for Local Government)

Jump to solution
02-14-2020 12:48 PM
ErnestoCarreras2
New Contributor III

We are new to the Waze for Cities program. Currently, I am trying to get information regarding how to submit road closure data to Waze using Road Closure solution. I read all the documentation for this solution, as well as the guidelines provided by Waze for this task. Being an Esri shop, we want to use this tool rather than Waze Map Editor since WME will not work for our workflow. Here are some questions regarding this matter:

• How can I find our Waze for Cities program ID in the Waze partner dashboard?

According to the Road Closure documentation, in order to share any road closures with Waze, we need to provide our organization reference with every road closure. This field is used by Waze to identify which organization the road closure data is coming from. The reference name must be a maximum of either 10 capital letters or 12 lowercase letters. The reference is your Waze for Cities program ID.

• Since we are new to the Waze for Cities program, we are Level 1 Editor. Per Waze, we are required to be at leaves Level 3. Is that correct?       (READ BELOW FOR ANSWER)

See the Closure feature permissionshttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Real_time_closures#WME_closure_feature

• I also noticed that Waze Map Editor tool will auto-populate the street name information when creating road closures. Since we are using the Esri solution tool for Waze, that is, the web mapping application for road closures, street names are not auto populated. As you may know, the streets shown in the Esri’s base map may vary from Waze basemap street names. Will Esri’s solution perform a reverse geocode operation using as an input the geometry delineated in the web map to get Waze street names?

See here: https://developers.google.com/waze/data-feed/problem-resolution#reverse-geocoding-api

• Per Esri’s documentation for this solution, in order to share our road closure data, we must create a JSON request from the feature layer. I was under the impression that deploying this tool and configuring the Organization ID, etc. will handle all these things. Can someone elaborate on this topic?

See the following two links:

https://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/road-closures/workflows/share-waze/

https://developers.google.com/waze/data-feed/overview

Thanks in advance!

Tagging:

Geethaka Fernando

Mythdraug WazeEditor

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Everything you describe is accurate and it may cause an issue. The Waze Map Editor is the best way to ensure all closures appear in Waze. The Road Closures solution is intended to support many workflows across an organization and one of the optional things you can do is share with Waze. In regards to the basemap, we deliver the navigation basemap with the solution, but you can change it. I would actually encourage you use your own road network service if you have one available so the closures match your authoritative content. It is possible that Waze has a different name for a street than you have locally in the county and in that case the closure may not display in Waze. It might be an good opportunity to work with Waze as part of the program to improve their road information since you would be the authority on the proper names.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
ErnestoCarreras2
New Contributor III

I got the answer to the following question....

Since we are new to the Waze for Cities program, we are Level 1 Editor. Per Waze, we are required to be at leaves Level 3. Is that correct?

All CCP linked accounts show as rank L1 but allow permissions to do closures. L3 rank is only required if you are a non-partner editor.

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ernesto,

The Road Closures solution does not do a reverse geocode against the Waze api to pull the street name. It uses the Smart Editor widget which can be configured to do a reverse geocode against an Esri locator to pull information into a field automatically when a feature is created, but it can't be configured to use the Waze api.

At the bottom of this help topic it describes how you share your Road Closures service with Waze in such a way that it returns the features as json in the format required by Waze. You really don't need to do anything special to the service that is deployed with the Solution you just need to format the url in a specific way to send to Waze.

https://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/road-closures/workflows/share-waze/

ErnestoCarreras2
New Contributor III

Chris Fox

Bullet #3 is still not clear. The reason I ask this question is because per Waze, the street names must match those from Waze. As you may be aware, your solution uses a different basemap than that used in Waze Map Editor. Your street names may vary in some locations from those used in your basemap. When our users start to use the deployed solution, they will use the street names shwon in your basemap, and not Waze. Will this be an issue? That is why I am asking about the reverse geocode functionality included in the link provided below. I was wondering if your solution takes this issue into consideration and how it is mitigated. Also, if you notice, their documentation states that closure’s start and end points must have the same street name. Maybe I am over-complicating things from something that just works the way it is but I need to understand how it works before we start utilizing it at the county level. I don’t want users to start delineating road closures that then don’t propagate properly in Waze clients.

Please, refer to the below two links:

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Everything you describe is accurate and it may cause an issue. The Waze Map Editor is the best way to ensure all closures appear in Waze. The Road Closures solution is intended to support many workflows across an organization and one of the optional things you can do is share with Waze. In regards to the basemap, we deliver the navigation basemap with the solution, but you can change it. I would actually encourage you use your own road network service if you have one available so the closures match your authoritative content. It is possible that Waze has a different name for a street than you have locally in the county and in that case the closure may not display in Waze. It might be an good opportunity to work with Waze as part of the program to improve their road information since you would be the authority on the proper names.

PaulRobinson1
New Contributor

Ernesto

I was very interested to read your questions.  I'm Executive Director of a non-profit organization that exists to accelerate innovation and business growth around coastal resilience solutions.We're offering up to $500,000 to create a next generation traffic app that offers drivers real-time flooding and re-routing information.

If you're interested in learning more, visit riseresilience.org for more details, or email paulrobinson@riseresilience.org 

Regards,

Paul Robinson

0 Kudos
ElizabethHale1
New Contributor II

To the first question,

• How can I find our Waze for Cities program ID in the Waze partner dashboard?

I am not sure I see the answer here. Is there any instruction I can pass along to help the person managing our Waze account look up our Waze for Cities program ID? Or is it just the account name, truncated if it's longer than 10-12 characters?

AdamMiller4
New Contributor III

Also wondering if you ever found any clarity on where to find the organization id in the Waze Partner Portal?

0 Kudos
CameronZable_COG
New Contributor II

I was also wondering the same thing. I was never able to figure out what my Org ID was through any of the documentation. 

0 Kudos
ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

I asked Waze and the Org ID is simply the name you signed up with to the Waze community partner program here.

ahargreaves_FW_0-1678990196572.png

0 Kudos